Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 09:53 AM
    Can you boot a normal AP105 into a Instant IAP105 Controller? I do this for normally testing for my local sites with local controllers, but would like to test the configuration I've done for a site in the US from Australia. I've only got AP105's locally to me as spares. So far I love the IAP105, but having a non tech onsite, I would to test from here. 20Mbit if I do it after hours, so not much of a bandwidth limit.

• 2.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:14 AM

AFAIK, you cannot convert campus APs to IAPs.  You can, however, convert an IAP to a campus AP (just in case you want a controller in your network after you have purchased IAPs).

• 3.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:15 AM

And to further answer that question, no, you cannot add a campus AP to an IAP virtual controller.

• 4.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:19 AM
    Hmmm so given the same price, everyone should have purchased IAP's rather than AP's. So I can not add an AP105 to a IAP Group?

• 5.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:23 AM

The issue with buying only IAPs is that you then have to convert them before you can deploy them.  You cannot drop ship an IAP-105 into a campus environment and have it register with the controller automatically (since it is running IAP code). 

• 6.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:35 AM
    Understand that, but as remote support it might be worth it. Looks like I might need a personal trip back to the US, if this fails. Not to mention ongoing support issues, locally here I just boot one up per site in Australia and check the issue and resolve it, I have a site without a physical controller, much harder. RF devices and Windows do not like remote control on multiple networks. Connect to the wifi and everything goes nuts.

• 7.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 11:00 AM
    Deployment is not an issue as you seem, most companies requires the MAC address, so it turns up on site, plugged in, you know the MAC and reconfigure the AP plus the port as required.

• 8.  RE: Boot AP105 to a virtual IAP105 controller?

Posted Apr 27, 2012 12:29 PM

A regular campus AP can not be converted to an IAP. There are some regulatory issues that govern this and this is not just a matter of deployment or functionality.

Once you purchase an IAP, you could convert into a campus AP and then convert it back to an IAP as desired.

Thanks,

Shashi