Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

This thread has been viewed 55 times
  • 1.  CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 07, 2017 11:49 AM

I know that I can reset an CAP controlled by contoller back to IAP from that AP with a factory reset. I want to know if I can convert the CAP showing up in the management web interface back to the IAP from the management interface. I am working with the 7010 controller and IAP 205H-US

• 2.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2017 01:37 PM

That would require TAC to intervene.  I am not sure a regular user could do that..

• 3.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 08, 2017 07:50 AM

Thanks for the input. I had an issue on another controller converting IAP to AP - it said image verification failed. I believe that the version is ok as well as storage space. When I moved that AP to another controller there was no problem. I work in a lab and I am setting up multiple access points on different controllers. I need to be able to setup and break down unprovisioning and converiting back form AP to IAP. Appreciate you help

• 4.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2017 07:58 AM

Converting back AP to IAP by pressing the reset button while powering on should always work, regardless of controller version. It just requires physical access to the AP.

• 5.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Aug 02, 2018 05:32 AM

Hello!

I know its an old thread, but I have a test environment with lots of controllers. I want the factory reset IAP to come up as an IAP, and it always finds a master with ADP. Is there a way I can make the IAP skip controller discovery and just boot as an IAP?

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

• 6.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2018 06:32 AM

If you stop the access point at the apboot> prompt and type:

setenv uap_controller_less 1
    save

That would keep the Unified IAP from looking for a controller.  To change it back to its default setting you would type:

setenv uap_controller_less 0
    save

Or, on the controller you can use an AP deployment Policy (ArubaOS 6.5.3 and above), where you can configure a controller to reject a Universal AP from connecting to a controller:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_83_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/AP_Config/AP_Discovery_Logic.htm?Highlight=ap%20discovery%20logic

• 7.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Sep 20, 2019 05:50 PM

I'm picking up this old thread since it's still a good question.

I'm attempting to convert a warehouse with 122 iAP 205 and 275 (converted to CAP) on a 7210 controller back to iAP (two clusters).

The redeploy command results as follows:

(089aw009) #ap redeploy controller-less ap-name 089-AP-014
    This command will perform factory reset on selected APs and convert them to controller-less mode. Do you want to proceed with the operation? [y/n]: y
    Command is not supported for this AP model

(089aw009) #

Which models does the command support, and how can I convert the iAP I have back without taking two days on a lift to go reset each one? 

• 8.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Sep 21, 2019 05:13 AM

There is a simpler way.

Not sure if it can be posted in a public forum.

Have a look at your private messages.

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
    --Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.

• 9.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Sep 26, 2019 10:50 AM

Hi A_RAK

Please, send me too this simpler way.

Thanks

• 10.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Sep 26, 2019 11:30 AM

The "simpler-way" is having TAC get your 6.5.x.x+ version controller into "support" mode and issuing a command to force the non-UAP iAPs to factory-reset.

The usual warnings apply: if it bricks, it's probably your problem.

• 11.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2019 05:04 AM

@msabin wrote:

I'm picking up this old thread since it's still a good question.

I'm attempting to convert a warehouse with 122 iAP 205 and 275 (converted to CAP) on a 7210 controller back to iAP (two clusters).

The redeploy command results as follows:

(089aw009) #ap redeploy controller-less ap-name 089-AP-014
    This command will perform factory reset on selected APs and convert them to controller-less mode. Do you want to proceed with the operation? [y/n]: y
    Command is not supported for this AP model

(089aw009) #

Which models does the command support, and how can I convert the iAP I have back without taking two days on a lift to go reset each one? 

AFAIK Ap-redeploy only supports APS that started off as universal APs.

• 12.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2017 04:05 AM

You can convert back Campus APs to Instant with the CLI feature 'ap redeploy' that is introduced in ArubaOS 6.5.2:

(Aruba7005-1) #ap redeploy controller-less ?
    all                     Deploy all APs as controller-less AP
    ap-group                Deploy APs in this group as controller-less AP
    ap-name                 Deploy AP with this name as controller-less AP
    ip-addr                 Deploy AP at this IP address as controller-less AP
    ip6-addr                Deploy AP at this IPv6 address as controller-less AP
    wired-mac               Deploy AP at this MAC address as controller-less AP

• 13.  RE: CAP back to IAP on Mobility Controller

Posted Jun 08, 2017 07:51 AM

Great I'll check it out. Thanks for post