Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 02, 2013 04:37 PM

Instant APs and Virtual Controllers are normally installed on the same subnet. But this time I've come across with a topology that requires a Virtual Controller to control APs that are located on different subnets.

I've read about L3 Mobility which should provide roaming for clients moving from one AP to the another. But administration would still be bseparate for each IAP.

Would it be possible to make one Virtual Controller to administrate IAPs that are on different subnets?

Would if work if I were to set up apboot in one IAP like this?

apboot> master [IP of virtual controller]

• 2.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 02, 2013 09:09 PM

nope you cant do that...

if you want to manage different clusters centrally you need airwave.

cheers

carlos

• 3.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2013 11:35 AM
    You can designate the virtual controller ip and vlan however. I've never tested but perhaps that may work?

Airwave is your ultimate answer for managing multiple clusters from one spot

• 4.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 03, 2013 02:26 PM

As Seth mentioned, if you are connecting the IAPs to a managed switch and can trunk multiple vlans to the IAP, you can specify the management vlan as shown below.   Unfortunately, I have not tested this feature either.   This was added in more recent versions of code.

If you are unable to do this the AirWave is definetly a nice add-on!

vlan.jpg

• 5.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 03, 2013 05:57 PM

Nice is this was with the lastest code?

Thats an insteresting feature...

Cheers

Carlos

• 6.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 03, 2013 07:51 PM

I believe this was added in v.3.3.

• 7.  RE: Can a Virtual Controller control IAPs on different subnets? [Answered]

Posted Aug 08, 2013 06:15 PM

Thanks!