Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Can no longer access/ping the Controller

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 11:11 AM

I can no longer access the controller via its web interface.  I can still connect to the APs via their web GUI.  I also cannot ping the controller.  The problem started after I rebooted the "master AP."  After the "master AP" rebooted, I can no longer ping the controller IP or access the controller via its web interface.  I have rebooted all the APs since rebooting the master.  No change.  Any thoughts on how I can fix this?  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 12:43 PM

Hi,

You mentioned that you can connect to Web GUI of APs

" I can still connect to the APs via their web GUI"

When you try to connect to web gui of any IAP in a cluster, you are redirected to VC of the cluster automatically. What is happening in your case? simply rebooting the master shouldnt be a problem. Did you change any other settings like configuring preferred master on multiple APs?

• 3.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 01:29 PM

Controller IP: 10.102.220.200.  APs: 10.102.220.20-24.

If I try to go to 10.102.220.200, I receive a timeout browser message.

If I go to 10.102.220.20, for example, I am redirected to the IP of the AP that is listed as "Master."

So if AP 10.102.220.23 is "Master," when I go to 10.102.220.20, 21, 22 or 24, I am redirected to 10.102.220.23.  If I reboot 23 and 21 becomes "Master," then I am always redirected to 21 any time I try to access one of the APs directly through the web GUI.

• 4.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 01:41 PM

Hi,

Are you connecting to controller ip via same subnet or different subnet? have you tried to configure other network settings for VC as well?

• 5.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 01:44 PM

We have a separate "AP VLAN."  We can access the "AP VLAN" from our "Main VLAN."  I am accessing the APs through our "Main VLAN."  If I setup a switch port for just the "AP VLAN," I am still unable to connect to the controller IP.  The virtual controller had been working fine.  It is not working now after a reboot of one of the "main AP."

• 6.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:02 PM
    Hi,

Can you share the model of APs and firmware version

• 7.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:05 PM

Model: 315

Software version: 8.3.0.9.

• 8.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:32 PM
    Hi,

Ok i will lab it up tomorrow to see if i can reproduce it

• 9.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 10, 2020 02:43 PM

Thanks.  I have even tried changing the VC IP to see if this would 'fix' the issue.  Even after changing the VC IP, I am still unable to access the VC directly through the IP.  Are there any logs that we can review?

• 10.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 09:08 AM

I resolved this issue by removing the gateway on the Virtual Controller.  Once I removed the gateway, I was able to access the virtual controller IP.  Again, I didn't change the configuration/network/etc.  I only rebooted the "Master AP."  Is this a known issue?

• 11.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 09:55 AM

Removing what gateway?

• 12.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 09:58 AM

The gateway on the Virtual Controller.

System -> General

I removed the Gateway and changed the "Virtual Controller network settings" to "Default."

• 13.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 10:02 AM

Why do you enter the gateway?  You should let the controller obtain its ip address via dhcp...

• 14.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 10:03 AM

We set a static IP on all of our APs and Virtual Controller.  We had the gateway setup on our virtual controller.  We do not use DHCP for APs/Virtual Controller.

• 15.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 10:15 AM

Instant is designed to use dhcp for all the pieces.  Setting static ip addresses for all your instant APs opens you up for more administrative work.  You can always configure a virtual controller ip address, that the Virtual Controller will always have, so that you can login to a consistent ip address, while still using dhcp for your instant APs to avoid the management overhead.

I don't know why you are having problems while configuring a default gateway, but that is not a standard setup, so I cannot answer that..

• 16.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 17, 2020 10:21 AM

We always use static IPs.  Much less overhead for us to use static IPs.

In terms of my original problem, it seems like there is an issue when a gateway is statically set.  Things will work for a while, then suddenly, just stop working.  That is, with a static gateway, one can access the virtual controller.  Then, suddenly, one cannot access the virtual controller.  Removing the static gateway 'fixes' this problem.

• 17.  RE: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 10:27 AM

Thank you.  This can be a cautionary tale to others.