Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Can no longer access/ping the Controller

Removing what gateway?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

The gateway on the Virtual Controller.

System -> General

I removed the Gateway and changed the "Virtual Controller network settings" to "Default."

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Why do you enter the gateway?  You should let the controller obtain its ip address via dhcp...

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

We set a static IP on all of our APs and Virtual Controller.  We had the gateway setup on our virtual controller.  We do not use DHCP for APs/Virtual Controller.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Instant is designed to use dhcp for all the pieces.  Setting static ip addresses for all your instant APs opens you up for more administrative work.  You can always configure a virtual controller ip address, that the Virtual Controller will always have, so that you can login to a consistent ip address, while still using dhcp for your instant APs to avoid the management overhead.

I don't know why you are having problems while configuring a default gateway, but that is not a standard setup, so I cannot answer that..

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted

We always use static IPs.  Much less overhead for us to use static IPs.

In terms of my original problem, it seems like there is an issue when a gateway is statically set.  Things will work for a while, then suddenly, just stop working.  That is, with a static gateway, one can access the virtual controller.  Then, suddenly, one cannot access the virtual controller.  Removing the static gateway 'fixes' this problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Thank you.  This can be a cautionary tale to others.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: