Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Choose IAP Model for my Church Hall and Office

Hi, 

I'm planning to use Aruba IAP for my next church renovation project. What's the tips for choosing the right model based on client and range ? How to see IAP range spesifications from each IAP model ? Thanks before. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Re: Choose IAP Model for my Church Hall and Office

Range (as a concept) is hard to quantify based on a large number of factors (noise floor, client device type, device and AP receive sensitivites, AP channel, antenna types, AP orientation (and antenna orientation if external antennas are used, environment, etc) and is defined by all of the previous items along with AP power. In office environments AP spacing of 30-60ft is average (depending on client density). 

Use of planning tools (Ekahau, AirMagnet, etc) are generally used if these are new areas you're exploring. There's lots of resources and youtube videos that go in to AP placement and RF design out there to start with. 

Jerrod Howard
Distinguished Technologist, TME

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Expert

There are no range specifications, as any WLAN design has as much or more to do with client density, system requirements, etc. Assuming this is for the congregational/mass area/auditorium as well as for office and common areas, you would need to figure out what the requirements are in terms of services provided to your users (just basic web/email, looking at streaming audio/video, wayfinding, etc) and how many users in a given area. Generally speaking you can expect to design for ~1000-1500sq ft per AP (depending on environment). In terms of capacity, you would need to know what services the clients needs, but if it's just basic web and email, you would design with one AP per 75 people or so. So if your sunday service has approx 1000 people show up, and you want to provide solid, reliable wifi for those people, you would need at least 10-12 APs, which requires some specific planning to accomodate the RF in such a dense area. If sunday service attendence is in the 300-400 range, then you could use 5 or 6 APs and placement is not as critical.

Jerrod Howard
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

So are you saying that range is not priority ? Is all IAP range same ? How can I measure the RF range from the specification ? What is the range parameter from the specification ?
Highlighted
MVP Expert

Range (as a concept) is hard to quantify based on a large number of factors (noise floor, client device type, device and AP receive sensitivites, AP channel, antenna types, AP orientation (and antenna orientation if external antennas are used, environment, etc) and is defined by all of the previous items along with AP power. In office environments AP spacing of 30-60ft is average (depending on client density). 

Use of planning tools (Ekahau, AirMagnet, etc) are generally used if these are new areas you're exploring. There's lots of resources and youtube videos that go in to AP placement and RF design out there to start with. 

Jerrod Howard

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: