Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 06:35 AM

Hi

On my iAP clusters under the SSID profile configuration (CLI) I see the option max-clients-threshold configured to 64 on some clusters and on others to 72 (different AP models between the clusters).

I read that this limits the amount of clients able to connect per BSSID.

Just to make sure, if it limits it on BSSID - does this limmit apply to the SSID from a single AP, limitting the clients to 64/72,  or would it limit all clients on the entire SSID from all the APs to 64/72?

Am I correct in saying each iAP will have it's own/different BSSID for each SSID?

• 2.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 07:17 AM

Hi,

Neither, it will limit to 64 on that BSSID (which is the SSID, on either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio, for that AP). The default limit is fine, as more clients associated with that BSSID wouldn't be recommended.

Kind regards,

jcelis

• 3.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 07:29 AM

Cool  - THX. So just to make sure I understand... I will be able to get 64 on 2.4Ghz and 64 on 5Ghz in the entire environment for that SSID.

Is there perhaps a list of what these limits are for the different iAP makes/models - all the information I find ussually  indicates 200+ clients and so forth....

• 4.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:05 AM

Not for the entire environment, just that access points. So if you have 2 APs, that means:

AP 1: 2.4GHz 64 clients, 5GHz 64 clients

AP 2: 2.4GHz 64 clients, 5GHz 64 clients

• 5.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:09 AM

The AP Datasheets state maximum associated client devices per radio but these are always a paper max and not a real world max. They are also per radio not per BSSID. In reality you need to consider the number of WLAN's and the expected utilization & capacity usage for each WLAN before setting the limits. 

• 6.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:30 AM

@Roblowe14 wrote:

The AP Datasheets state maximum associated client devices per radio but these are always a paper max and not a real world max. They are also per radio not per BSSID. In reality you need to consider the number of WLAN's and the expected utilization & capacity usage for each WLAN before setting the limits. 

Correct, those in the AP datasheets are the maximum associated client devices for an AP (per radio). I was talking about the value you can edit in the SSID configuration, which is the max allowed value per BSSID.

• 7.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:43 AM

Awesome THX guys.

I was also looking at the Datasheets, so the limit on the actual SSID Profile was a bit confusing.

• 8.  RE: Clarification required around iAP max-clients-threshold setting

Posted Jul 04, 2016 08:49 AM

This allows the flexibility to limit the users per SSID per AP because it is possible to have more than 1 SSID per AP. So if you have a voice SSID for instance, you would want to set this quite low to avoid too many VoIP devices (High QoS requirement) associating to a single AP and contending for the same airtime.