Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

Posted Aug 14, 2019 04:33 PM

Name: Aruba Operating System Software
    Type:215
    Build Time: 2018-07-20 12:37:12 UTC (build 65873) by p4build
    Version: 6.5.4.8

Linksys EA6500 wireless router serves as DHCP

Issue: We have only 1 client who can obtain an IP address while on the Aruba instant network.  All other clients can obtain an IP address.  DHCP is not handled by Aruba and Aruba instant APs obtain their IP addresses from the same DHCP Source (Linksys EA6500).

Testing Already done:

1. Placed the client on a non-aruba wlan (Linksys) and obtains IP from the same DHCP Scope and pool. 

2. Removed all Aruba APs and brought up only one at a time and tested it with two clients - the problem client shows in the system with an IP of 0.0.0.0, tested this on 4 different Aruba Instant APs (AP 275, 215, 214 and 205).

3. Client prefers 2.4 Channel 1 - turned off all other channels and still only receive an IP of 0.0.0.0

Again, the client pulls an IP if you put it on a differnt WLAN, Linksys, and it pulls a IP without any issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 05:00 PM

If the SSID is configured at "Network Assigned", make sure the VLAN is 1.

• 3.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

Posted Aug 22, 2019 08:28 AM

Hi,

Thank you for the tip but that was not the soultion.

TAC has troubleshot the issue for a few hours without any luck.

We have found that the client can connect on the Aruba IAP system using Static WEP 64 BIT Hex only, yet it can connect on any other network with WPA-2.

We get a MIC Failure if the client trys to connect to the IAPs with anything higher than the Static WEP

• 4.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 08:37 AM
    You didn't say what kind of client it was

• 5.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

Posted Aug 22, 2019 08:40 AM

The client is a scale with limited capabilities.  However, it can connect via WPA-2 on any other network except the IAP network.

https://greatergoods.com/service/0396

• 6.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 04:59 AM

I got the exact same issue with my HP OfficeJet 6500 printer. It won't receive an IP when connected to my Aruba Instant On WIFI. Even if I assign a static IP manually, it won't be accessible through WIFI.

Setup: 3x AP15 running 2.0.1, WPA2/PSK enabled WIFI.

How did you resolve your issue?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 05, 2020 08:52 AM

You might get an answer by posting this in the InstantOn forum

https://community.arubainstanton.com/

• 8.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 05, 2020 09:32 AM

Hi,

The solution was changing the security type of the SSID. For our scale we had to drop the security down to Static WEP with a key size of 64 Bit with a TXT Key of 1. 

This resolved the issue right away, apparently the scale could not handle higher security. Maybe it will work with your printer, I would recommend changing the security type until you find the one that works for you.

• 9.  RE: Client associated to Aruba but no ip address (Aruba Instant APs)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2020 04:51 AM
      |   view attached

interesting, thank you! I did investigate a little further and finally got it to work.

Here's what I've figured out. When using the Wireless Wizard on the printer itself it will connect, but doesn't recieve a DHCP address. Even though setting a static IP manually, the printer isn't accessible through WIFI.

Now I've connted the printer using a network cable and performed the wireless configuration through its webinterface. There you have some advanced options. By selecting the compatibility setting: "In an infrastructure network use 802.11b/g behavior." did the trick!