Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

Posted Apr 08, 2018 05:51 PM

WLAN is set to guest, VLAN is set to virtual controller Managed, Client VLAN Assignment is set to default, there are no restrictions. I reset all of the access points which didn't help. Can anyone think of any troubleshooting steps or places to look? No recent changes were made to the network. 

Clients that connect to the guest SSID get a 172.31.98.XXX ip address . Their network status shows connected. If I have the user disconnect or forget the guest network and reconnect they get the 172 ip address again but still cannot connect to anything. 

• 2.  RE: Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2018 05:54 PM

Client traffic that is Virtual Controller Assigned get source-natted out of the ip address of the AP that is the Virtual Controller.  If that ip address can get to the internet, your guests should be able to, as well.  If that ip address is blocked from the internet, your guests will not be able to go to the internet, either.

• 3.  RE: Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

Posted Apr 08, 2018 05:57 PM

Do you know how I can check this? 

• 4.  RE: Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 08, 2018 06:51 PM

You can try SSH into the Virtual Controller and try pinging 8.8.8.8.  What is your path to the internet?

• 5.  RE: Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

Posted Apr 09, 2018 12:23 AM

Pining to 8.8.8.8 may be blocked by the firewall policy .

better you can check with security team to debug traffic source from your  controller ip . then you will come to know traffic is blocking in firewall level

• 6.  RE: Clients connected to the Guest network cannot access Internet

Posted May 15, 2018 09:51 AM

It turns out that content filtering was enabled and our environment doesn't appear to like that option. I had been messing around with that option a few days prior. I simply disabled it and everything started working again...weird.