Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:40 AM

Good Day All.

I hope I have not posted this is in the wrong place.

We are using very simple DHCP fingerprinting to block devices from various SSID's. However when DHCP renewal takes place then computers become disconnected. User then has to manually reselect SSID on computer.

Our branch office uses 2x IAP215 (no controller) connected to group AD. 

3x SSID's with own vlans (INT, BYOD, Guest)

INT SSID - WPA2 enterprise - DHCP Fingerpint to block Android, IOS

BYOD - WPA2 ent - DHCP Fingerprint to block Windows computers.

Computers on INT keep been disconnected when dhcp renews lease.

Any thoughts?

Greetings

• 2.  RE: Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:45 AM

Your leases are too short, would be my first guess.  If a device gets a different lease, it appears as a different device in the user table to the controller and might require reauthentication.  Try to extend your leases to prevent this from happening. 

• 3.  RE: Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

Posted Oct 24, 2017 11:02 AM

Thanks for replying.

My leases are short now (10mins), but that was to isolate problem.

I initially had leases at 8hrs. Disconnects then began occurring from around 4hrs into lease period (lease renewal time(50% of lease period)).

• 4.  RE: Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

Posted Oct 24, 2017 11:05 AM

Sometimes there isnt even a disconnect. The computer just stops communicating with network. Then user has to disconnect manually and reconnect.

• 5.  RE: Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 01:43 PM

We would need more information about your network to understand what is happening.  Have you tried opening a TAC case?

• 6.  RE: Clients disconnect on DHCP renew when dhcp fingerprint roles configured

Posted Oct 24, 2017 10:51 PM
    Are you placing devices into different roles with firewall policies supplied? Your issue sounds similar to a misconfigured policy we had. We had dhcp allowed in initial role - and mistakenly had an acl blocking all dhcp replies in the authenticated role (intention was to block users from answering dhcp requests) - which caused connection issues when the clients initiated their dhcp renewal request.

#AirheadsMobile