Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s

Posted Mar 06, 2019 05:43 AM

Hi,

I have started recently to work with aruba products and I need some clarification badly. We have a case where we need to set up an environment with 3 switches and a number of access points (one switch for one floor and the AP are distributed on the floors). Our IAP have two networks (internal and guest ssid) which will be connected to the switches.

Since the IAP have only one port I asumme that this port which will be connected to the switch which would act as a tagged port. I know that end devices which connect to the switches normally would be on untagged ports per vlan, and between switches, the ports that connect those should be on tagged state. My question is: how is the link configured between a switch and an access point? Becuase there is only one port and the IAP has two network, should that be a tagged port then?

• 2.  RE: Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 06:12 AM

If you want to seperate the two SSIDs into fifferent VLANs, yes you have to have a tagged Port with the VLANs configured. Additional do a naitive VLAN, where all IAPs are in. This is needed to intercommunicate between the IAPs.

Here is a good video to give an overview to Instant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqfbuv635c&t=2s

And additional there is an Aruba Instant Video Training:

https://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/aruba-instant/instant-training/

additional here:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Learning/ct-p/learning?path=LearningInstant|LearningInstantIntro

And use the community to raise questions!

• 3.  RE: Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s

Posted Mar 06, 2019 09:21 AM

I have attended a webinar for aruba central and IAP so I am a bit Ok with IAPs but I am facing difficulties when it comes to switches. I have never touched an HPE switch before (I worked with cisco previousely) and I need some clarification.

So lets say I have configured two VLANs (Internal and Guest vlan) on the IAPs. I have lets say 10 IAPs which will occupy 10 ports on the switch1. Then I connect the switch1 with switch2 via sfp ports. 

Going by this, is this configuration below correct:

switch1# vlan 10

switch1# name Internal

switch1# tagged 1-10

switch1# untagged 11-20 (I want to use the same vlan for end devices such as computers and printers on my LAN)

switch1# vlan 20

switch1# name Guest

switch1# tagged 1-10

switch1# vlan 1

switch1# name mgmt

switch1# no untagged 11-20

switch1# untagged 21-24

I will use the SFP ports for connecting the switch1 and switch2 and allow all the vlans through it. And then on the switch2 I will configure the same logic.

• 4.  RE: Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 12:55 PM

Greetings!

The configuration you posted is correct with regards to the IAP ports on the switch; just make sure that you also add VLAN tagging for VLANs 10 and 20 to the SFP ports on each switch. 

• 5.  RE: Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s

Posted Mar 07, 2019 03:40 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I am quite new as mention before and I apreciate all the help here! 

Cheers! :)

• 6.  RE: Connecting aruba switches with IAP:s
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 08, 2019 03:50 AM

What @Matthew suggested is to configure uplink ports on your various Switches as tagged member for the VLAN IDs you want to transport across them.

As example...suppose  you want to transport VLAN 10 and 20 between Switch01 and Switch02 through the uplink SFP port 49 on both switches (or through a group of ports defined on both switches, if you decide to aggregate two or more ports to add resiliency to your uplink) then that port need to be tagged member of those VLAN IDs.

Switch01# config
    Switch01(config)# vlan 10
    Switch01(vlan-10)# tagged ethernet 49
    Switch01(vlan-10)# exit
    Switch01(config)# vlan 20 Switch01(vlan-20)# tagged ethernet 49 Switch01(vlan-20)# exit Switch01(config)# exit Switch01#

So that port 49 will be untagged on VLAN 1 (Default) and tagged on VLAN 10 and 20. Repeat the same for Switch02.

The same if you have a LACP port aggregation: suppose you aggregated 49+50 on Trk1 with LACP (trunk ethernet 49,50 trk1 lacp): instead of referencing to physical port 49 you must reference to trk1 (which is a logical port).