Controllerless Networks

Regular Contributor I

Re: Controller vs IAP

No VIA. Just using a Cisco IPSEC VPN client.

Speaking of which...does Aruba even develope VIA any longer?

Network Engineer | Airhead | Titus 3:5
Valued Contributor I

VIA is an active Aruba product under the PEFV license and does receive updates.

Regular Contributor I

Sorry for slow response. I was referring to IPSEC VPN from a PC or mobile device to the controller itself. We have other locations where an iPhone or iPad does IPSEC VPN to the controller for remote access. Is that possible in the IAP?
Super Contributor I

IAP's have a full firewall like the aruba controller. You can allow VPN as you would normally.

The only VPN limitation in instant refers to the ability for the actual IAP's to create a VPN to a central Aruba Controller to access central resources. A VPN client on any of the client devices would function as normal.

ACDX #419 | ACMP |
Regular Contributor I

To be clear, I'm NOT talking about VPN from a client to another device in the network. I'm talking about a client (iPhone/iPad, Android, Windows...etc) initiating an IPSEC VPN tunnel that terminates ON THE IAP (Controller). I can do this currently to a physical Aruba controller. I just need to make sure the same functionality exists on an IAP virtual controller.

Super Contributor I

No, the only client VPN product Aruba develops is VIA, which is only available in the controller. IAP's have no capability to terminate client VPNs on the IAP VC (IE, no VPN server runs on the VC).

ACDX #419 | ACMP |
Regular Contributor I

Thanks for confirming. I appreciate it. 

Frequent Contributor I

kdisc98,

Coming back to this.. The PDF you attached is great.  But old.. wondering if there is an update.

Anything official from Aruba with the comparison.

Also, I notice when pulling up the Instant OS UG versus Aruba OS UG (i.e. from a Mobility Controller) there is a ton of difference..I.e. Virtual AP groups in Aruba OS, but not Instant OS.. to name just one...

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

hi,

is there anything official from Aruba with a detailed comparison available - maybe also with covering when using Branch Controller as well?

greets

Nothing official that I've seen. I would suggest contacting your local SE who could do a detailed review of the different solutions available for your environment.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: