Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

Posted Apr 04, 2020 11:30 AM

I purchased an AP-303H used from ebay (the seller acquired the unit via a liquidation sale so I have no direct access to the original owner). I'm trying to get the AP-303H-US to join my AP-515-US (local virtual controller master). When I hard-reset the 303H - it automatically grabs settings from Aruba and the old owners SSID and credentials are synced to the device.

Here's what i've tried:

• Blocked the AP-303H from accessing the Internet (this ensures the AP303H does not get auto provisioned with the previous owners settings during provisioning
    • Contacted Aruba TAC - unfortunately because the AP303H is still licensed to the prior owner they cannot remove it from their account and put it onto mine
    • Tried converting the 303h to a local standalone device under maintenance
    • Tried waiting for the 303H to join the AP-515 Master VC - nothing happens, also tried manually whitelisting the IP in the UI after disabling Auto-Join

When I hard reset the AP-303H I see a local Airwave Server listed (i have no airwave server) aruba-airwave.mydomain.com when i run a "show log provision" in ssh.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can convert this device back into a standalone / instant ap that will join my local VC? Running out of ideas.

• 2.  RE: Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

Posted Apr 04, 2020 01:07 PM

Hi, 

You mentioned that you tried converting it into Standalone, this means you got access to Web UI using Setmeup SSID? if yes, have you checked if 515 and 303H firmwares are same? If they are not same, 303H wont join the cluster. 

Also just to be sure, standalone AP wont join the cluster

• 3.  RE: Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

Posted Apr 04, 2020 01:41 PM

Hi - I do have access to the web UI - after blocking the 303h from having access to the internet and doing a hard reset, I can get in to the admin pages and was able to see the Set Me Up SSID. Both firmwares are on : 8.6.0.3_74788 (Digitally Signed - Production Build).

• 4.  RE: Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2020 02:35 PM
    Hi,

Can you check and confirm below

1) 515 is not running in standalone mode
    2) Auto join is enabled
    3) 303H is not running in standalone mode

If you are able to see the Setmeup SSID, it means 303H made his own
    cluster. Currently is 515 and 303H in the same Vlan? if no, and you put
    them in the same Vlan, what happens? 303H doesnt come up?

• 5.  RE: Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

Posted Apr 04, 2020 02:53 PM

I went back and converted each of the AP's to virtual controller and this did it - thank you!!! The AP's are now clustered. For some reason it took the test SSID of the 303h (removed all of the SSIDs I had setup on the 515). That's fine just reconfigured everything, does it matter which AP is serving as the master?

• 6.  RE: Converting Activated AP-303H to access a Local Virtual Controller

Posted Apr 04, 2020 02:58 PM
    Hi,

Depending on the size of implementation, it may or may not. Only some of
    the function tunnel traffic back to Master AP. Its recommended to have the
    most powerful AP, like 515 in your case (as compared to 303h) should be
    designated as preferred master. Please note that preferred master setting
    should be done on any one single 515 only.