Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

This thread has been viewed 57 times
  • 1.  Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted May 11, 2017 03:10 AM

We have the following:

- Mobility Controller 7024 - on AOS 6.5.1.2

- IAP275

Via instant we try to voncert the IAP275 to Campus AP managed by controller. After hitting the button CONVERT it says 'downloading information form controller'.

After a while it shows us the message in Instant:

- Retrieve image failed, please save the log in the popup window. AP will reboot in 15 minutes.

We don't see a log. So I don't know wha tis going wrong?

#6.5

• 2.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jun 20, 2017 02:14 AM

Hi Christian,

Off late, have you got any resolution?

I am as well facing the same issue. I am running on: (MODEL: Aruba7240XM), Version 6.5.0.2.

I have converted few 315 IAPs to Campus and it worrked fine, however when I am trying to convert the rest I am as well facing the same issue as yours.

• 3.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 03:10 AM

Do you see any errors in the logs on the CLI of the controller or IAP? Are there any firewalls between the IAP and controller which  maybe blocking ports?

• 4.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 19, 2018 04:33 AM

I have the same problem as the person asking the question. My AP and controller is on the same subnet, and the VMC is a 8.2.1.0 OS. The AP is an iap305, so compatibility shouldn't be a problem. 

In the log file it says:

Connecting to 172.20.205.1:21... failed: No route to host.
    Error: failed to retrieve image

But I can ping the controller from AP. And as I said, there is no firewall between them. CPsec is enabled, Auto cert provisioning is disabled, but the AP is in the whitelist and in Approved state.

Any Ideas where to start?

• 5.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

• 6.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 20, 2018 04:00 AM

Hello!

I know how to convert ap. Thats why I have a problem. Because after trying to convert it fails with an "failed to retrieve image" error.

Daniel

• 7.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 20, 2018 06:35 AM

Hi;

To see the registry, try to see if it is possible that you have blocked the pop-up window. The firmware download is by FTP, so then you need verification if this port is open between IAP to controller.

I hope that helps.

• 8.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 20, 2018 07:23 AM

I put a factory default AP of the same type (ap305) on the port and it came up as instant. Then did converting and it joined controller. So I doubt its a network connectivity error, or a port being closed off. I tried the AP with test controller and it joined. So I think its a stuck config on the controller side.

Is there a way to purge all config from controller regarding one specific AP?

• 9.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 03:58 AM

You need to upgrade the controller to newer firmware to support that model.

6.5.1.2 did not support.

• 10.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 04:02 AM

I am runnig  VMC 8.2.1.0. So I don't think its a controller firmware problem.

• 11.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 06:30 AM

If the controller is running 8.2.1.0, I have no idea.

Could you try to upgrade IAP to latest version first then convert to join the controller?

• 12.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 06:50 AM

I have also tried to set up a same VMC in test environment, converted, then provisioned the AP. Then took it to client and still it fails to connect. (Of course, I changed the master IP to client's controller first.)

I also tried a few firmwares. Upgraded and downgraded the AP but ended up with same result. The AP connects to other controllers except client controller. I also tried hooking up a different AP to the same physical port and it converts. So I ruled out network problem.

I also had an intresting phenomenon. I also put a laptop in the same subnet as the AP and controller. I could ping the controller from laptop and back. I could ping AP from laptop and back. But I couldn't ping either the controller from AP or the other way around. Thats why I thought the controller has somehow blacklisted the ap (even though the AP is in whitelist accepted status) and is blocking traffic.

If someone has an Idea wheather this is possible. I am open to suggestions.

THX

Daniel

• 13.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 07:04 AM

Did you try to change Regulatory Domain?

• 14.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 07:08 AM

Every appliance runs on HU regulatory domain. Before trying to convert AP I set it also to HU.

• 15.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 23, 2018 10:08 PM

Please try to create another regulatory domain for testing. Maybe US, SG. Just for testing.

• 16.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jul 24, 2018 09:50 AM

In a productive environment I don't know if its possible.

• 17.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 09:59 AM

If it is a connectivity issue, it probably is not related to the regulatory domain.

Please open a TAC case to save yourself some time:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/

• 18.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 24, 2018 08:37 AM

Hello Everyone!

Just an update, because I saw that other people had the same problem as me, so I thought I share my results.

I opened a TAC case side-by-side with this thread. TAC confirmed my hunch that it was a hardware problem:

When the AP boots:

[    0.428064] msm_pcie_probe: msm_pcie_probe: PCIe: RC0 is not enabled during bootup; it will be enumerated upon WAKE signal.
    [    0.428074] msm_pcie_probe: msm_pcie_probe: PCIe: Driver probe failed for RC0:-1
    [    0.429137] msm_pcie: probe of 80000.qcom,pcie failed with error -1

Also, when AP boots, its routing table is all messed up. Sometimes it would erase the default-gw adress and set it to 0.0.0.0.

So that was the big mystery. A faulty hardware :)

Cheers!

• 19.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Jan 23, 2019 02:56 PM

I was having the same problem with a few cases of IAP325's. My Controller running version 6.5.4.9 and IAP's coming with 6.4.4.4.... 

Updated the IAP's to 6.5.4.9 and resolved the problem.

• 20.  RE: Converting IAP to Campus AP fails - Retrieve Image Failed

Posted Oct 11, 2019 10:39 AM

Old post but i just hit this snag as well and it wasnt a hardware issue which was listed..

After some show commands I noticed I missed some config..

MC# show crypto ipsec sa

Oh the AP has an inner ip of 0.0.0.1

but I made my VPN Pool...

show log all 30.. Okay it uses the default-vpn-role and uses L2TP

Go to the default-vpn-role ->More-> L2TP field is EMPTY. Make sure the L2TP drop down has your VPN Pool selected :D

TFTP is used between RAP and MC btw for image updates

Reboot AP, convert again,. Boom - Correct inner IP and conversion successful.