Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

Posted Jun 20, 2019 10:06 AM

Hi again

Our customer has bought a couple of AP374 devices, and they will all be used for MESH connections.The connections will be as 1 Portal and 1Point like.

I had finally finished one Mesh connection  , is there a proper way to deploy it to the other devices like backup the config and deploy it to  others.If there is a solution like that it will be great.

I looked at the backup and restore , it doesnt look like we can take a backup of a mesh solution , and restore it to a new AP and configure a new MESH

thansk a  lot

• 2.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2019 05:22 PM

Instant or AOS?

• 3.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

Posted Jun 21, 2019 02:23 AM

Hi ,

Instant AP ,we use one of the IAPs as a virtual controller

thanks

• 4.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 10:14 AM

So what is going to be on the other side of the mesh link (on the remote side)? What is the overall topology going to be in terms of where the points are related to the portals across the deployment? Instant with VC only has one mesh cluster so there's no control over the topology with Instant. In 8.4 we support standalone mesh mode, but that is the extent of it as it means individually managing the APs.

• 5.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

Posted Jun 21, 2019 11:02 AM

Thanks for the answer first.

the topology will be just 2 APs together constructs the mesh ,one by one.

there will be cameras,pc's and nvr systems in each locations.Our aim is to access to the remote site with the help of the mesh link ,

And also ,to make the deployment process as easy as we can since the deployment will be done by non-computer guys.If i can generate a template and just deploy it to new IAPs ,with new Ip adresses and names ,i think it will be much easier.

The customer is using the old aruba systems,with mesh configs as attached, and they expect the same from the new IAP 374systems (like copy the conf to new system ,change some parameters and go...)

thanks 

• 6.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2019 11:13 AM

Are there any plans to put IAPs for client access on the remote side of the mesh link? Are there plans to carry multiple VLANs over a trunk? If not, then there's not much to worry about. If so, though, then there's some additional complications and descisions that need to be made and accounted for in the design and planning of the system. 

Once you build a PtP with IAP, you can cut and paste much of the config and script most of it. The key is in the process of the configuration. There's a list of steps you must do, how it's stood up, etc. 

If the old system is controller based, the old config will not be directly portable. If the old system is Instant based, some but maybe not all, config elements could be portable, but I would start with a fresh config template.

• 7.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

Posted Jun 24, 2019 02:56 AM

Hi ,

Yes the client access has to be carried across the remote site,No vlan setup is needed.

You mentioned that ,after the mesh setup is done, only copy and paste is enough.But what i had tested is backup and restore from the GUI ,I took a backup through the GUI and then factory_reset the both IAPs ,and then restore that config, but it doesnt construct the mesh setup.

There is no controlller in the environment,

• 8.  RE: Deploy multiple mesh connections easliy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2019 10:09 AM

If you are doing mesh as part of the Instant VC, then the only options are to disable the extended SSID (and to mark any native mesh vlan settings and port configs if required). And all of those elements are part of the config. For mesh bridging of wired traffic though, that requires enabling eth0-bridging which is part of the AP ENV and has to be written to the AP (ala is not part of 'the config'). 

If you are planning to put IAPs on the remote side to be part of the same VC as the main side, then the mesh will have to be either standalone mesh, or be it's own VC on a different L2 from the VC for client access.