Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.

Posted Aug 02, 2019 09:21 PM

Greetings,

Say you have an IAP 335, and plan to purchase 2 x IAP 225s (or possibly AP 303h).

Eventually, you plan to wire up the building and have the IAPs connected physically, but for now plan to use mesh to create a Wifi blanket.

As I was researching the different models that I can buy (those supporting the same instant OS version) I found out that the 3xx series are mostly powered by QCA chips, while the 225s are Broadcom.

Perhaps HPE/Aruba develops the firmare for these chips themselves and have ensured 100% compatability/stability under highloads, but my past experience tells me I should avoid mixing chipset vendors, especially in mesh setups, roaming, etc.

Is this the case with the IAP models I mentioned? Should I try get only 3xx family, or only 225s?

Or can I safely mix 335/225 and expect solid stability even among different underlying chipsets?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2019 07:02 AM

What is a wifi blanket?

Mesh stability depends on  a few factors, but chipset is not one of them.

• 3.  RE: Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.

Posted Aug 04, 2019 06:37 PM

Blanket as in to cover the entire building with WiFi.

You mean general RF factors? Or things specific to Aruba?

Cheers

• 4.  RE: Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 05, 2019 09:43 AM

Aruba AP models of anytype, so long as they are on the same code version, should mesh without issue (including 11ac with 11n, etc). 11ax mesh will be fully supported in 8.6.

• 5.  RE: Different models (chipsets) & mesh stability.

Posted Aug 05, 2019 06:32 PM

Thanks for confirmation. Cheers.