Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

Posted May 01, 2014 05:56 PM

I've been searching the support site and KB for a current list of DHCP fingerprints, but didn't find one.  I did find a couple older, static sources, but I can't be sure if they are up-to-date and/or complete.  Does anybody know if Aruba publishes a current list anywhere on their support site?

Thanks,

Chuck Enfield

Penn State University

• 2.  RE: Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2014 06:41 PM

There is a DHCP VRD on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/resources/reference-design-guides/  

There is a list of fingerprints in there in Appendix A for major operating systems, and they do not change.  The VRD also demonstrates how to obtain the fingerprint for any device you need.

• 3.  RE: Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

Posted May 01, 2014 10:06 PM

Thanks.  I did find that document, but as I mentioned, I couldn't be sure of the age, or if there were more available somewhere else.

It's helpful to know that they don't change, but can you share with me how you know that?  Based on the nature and intended purpose of the parameter request list, I have no reason to believe that they couldn't change with a patch or service pack.  I'm sure there's nothing in rfc 2132 to establish it as a fixed value based on os.  Specifically, I'm wondering if Win XP SP1 and SP2 have the same fingerprint as SP3.  It would appear that somebody at Arube isn't sure, or they would have just said Win XP instead of specifying SP3.

As for finding them myself, that only works if I have the required device.

Thanks,

Chuck

• 4.  RE: Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2014 10:13 PM

cenfield,

You don't have to believe Aruba, because we did not invent DHCP fingerprinting.  There are other resources, like fingerbank.org or do a search for DHCP fingerprinting to get your questions answered independently.

• 5.  RE: Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

Posted May 01, 2014 11:57 PM

I didn't mean to suggest I don't believe Aruba. All I asked was how you know they don't change - a question which you didn't answer. If I didn't believe Aruba I wouldn't be asking where I cold find a list on their website.

Actually, come to think of it, I asked two questions and you posted two replies and in neither reply did you actually answer the question I asked. Are you in sales? :)

• 6.  RE: Does Aruba publish a current list of DHCP fingerprints anywhere on their web site?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2014 12:02 AM

cenfield,

I referred you to resources where you can do your own research about DHCP fingerprints.  There is public research on the topic.  You can do your own research there.