Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

External DHCP server Configuration Help

I am currently setting up a controller-less WLAN for the first time and am having a hard time getting our external DHCP Server to lease certain VLANS to specified SSID. I have tried a few ways and even watched a few videos but still having getting no connection. 

I am not sure if I have configured everything correctly but would really appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: External DHCP server Configuration Help

Each Instant AP expects to be on a Swtich Trunk.  That means to place any users on a VLAN besides the untagged Vlan on that switchport, you need to make sure the SSID configuration is Configured as Network-Assigned and the VLAN number.  That means each instant AP needs to be on a trunk  switch port with that VLAN tagged.  Your switching infrastructure will have a default gateway on that VLAN and you will need to add a helper address to your layer 3 switch to supply DHCP.  The Instant AP only supplies DHCP for a "Virtual Controller Assigned" VLAN, and all of that traffic is NATTED out of the Virtual Controller, so there is no configuration necessary  or possible on your switched infrastructure.  "Virtual Controller Assigned" is typically for Guest networks.

I hope that makes sense.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

I have the ports on me switches configured as trunks and added a helper-address VLAN but now the IAP is offline.

Below is an example of what I have from Central with the configuration of the wired port connection from IAP to Switch. 

Access Point Ports

Networks > Configuration - default_wired_port_profile

Mode: Trunk

Client IP Assignment: External DHCP server assigned

Native VLAN: 130

Allow VLAN: 250,260

Is that configuration correct? 

Guru Elite

What is the native vlan on the switch?

What is the management VLAN of your instant APs?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

Switch native VLAN is 140

Management VLAN on IAP is 140

Search Airheads
cancel