Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

External DHCP server Configuration Help

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  External DHCP server Configuration Help

Posted Aug 21, 2019 11:49 AM

I am currently setting up a controller-less WLAN for the first time and am having a hard time getting our external DHCP Server to lease certain VLANS to specified SSID. I have tried a few ways and even watched a few videos but still having getting no connection. 

I am not sure if I have configured everything correctly but would really appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: External DHCP server Configuration Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2019 02:33 PM

Each Instant AP expects to be on a Swtich Trunk.  That means to place any users on a VLAN besides the untagged Vlan on that switchport, you need to make sure the SSID configuration is Configured as Network-Assigned and the VLAN number.  That means each instant AP needs to be on a trunk  switch port with that VLAN tagged.  Your switching infrastructure will have a default gateway on that VLAN and you will need to add a helper address to your layer 3 switch to supply DHCP.  The Instant AP only supplies DHCP for a "Virtual Controller Assigned" VLAN, and all of that traffic is NATTED out of the Virtual Controller, so there is no configuration necessary  or possible on your switched infrastructure.  "Virtual Controller Assigned" is typically for Guest networks.

I hope that makes sense.

• 3.  RE: External DHCP server Configuration Help

Posted Aug 22, 2019 09:51 AM

I have the ports on me switches configured as trunks and added a helper-address VLAN but now the IAP is offline.

Below is an example of what I have from Central with the configuration of the wired port connection from IAP to Switch. 

Access Point Ports

Networks > Configuration - default_wired_port_profile

Mode: Trunk

Client IP Assignment: External DHCP server assigned

Native VLAN: 130

Allow VLAN: 250,260

Is that configuration correct? 

• 4.  RE: External DHCP server Configuration Help

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2019 12:38 PM

What is the native vlan on the switch?

What is the management VLAN of your instant APs?

• 5.  RE: External DHCP server Configuration Help

Posted Aug 29, 2019 01:37 PM

Switch native VLAN is 140

Management VLAN on IAP is 140