Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Factory Reset IAP's

This thread has been viewed 133 times
  • 1.  Factory Reset IAP's

Posted Aug 13, 2018 08:36 AM

Hi there,

I have a situation wherby 10 IAPs have been installed high up on a warehouse ceilings. Unfortunately, they all need to be factory reset. Can this be done via connecting to SSID, enableing telnet/SSH on AP GUI, then SSH in and reset them all via the VC. Can one command push out the factory reset to all IAPs?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards

Prodigy

• 2.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 08:54 AM

You can reset using the command below, I believe it needs to be completed on a per AP basis

write {erase <all> <reboot>}

• 3.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:19 AM

Many thanks for your reply,

So I am ssuming that will mean I cannot do it all from the GUI via the VC Access Point? So I will have to get onto all of the IAPs individually and factory reset eact at a time?

I was really hopingI would just need to get onto the VC' CLI and be able to factory reset them all from there!!

Do you think there is any other alternative way to do this?

Regards

Prodigy

• 4.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:22 AM

You can reset the configuration in the GUI by going to maintenance and clear config.

They will however form another cluster again.

• 5.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

Posted Aug 13, 2018 09:29 AM

We can´t reset from GUI, we not found the options, what GUI?, Instant GUI Interface? or Aruba Central Interface?

Yesterday i´m reset to factory my rap-109, following instructions of the manual, in the middle i check and in our Aruba Central Account not exist any devices. 

I connect the RAP-109 and welcome back!!!

So any procedure its not operational.

• 6.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 10:34 AM

If it is managed by Central then when the device is down, delete it from there and then you can manage it locally.

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Delete-details-of-down-device-from-Aruba-Central/ta-p/291887

Once they are in locally-manage mode, just clear the config.

Snip20180813_9.png

• 7.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

Posted Aug 13, 2018 11:30 AM

Thanks all for your replies,

My problem is that I am trying to get them on Central and have only applied for a Activate account now...So when they are booted up and do not get on to Central they will give themselves a 172 address. So, I will need to reset them all. So thats my issue at present. I thought I could get onto the VC and to a "purge command" to reset all the APs.

If they were at a normal height it would not bother me but they are 100ft in the air. So was hoping I could do it like I stated above.

Thanks all for your help and if there are any other suggestions please let me know.

Regards

Prodigy

• 8.  RE: Factory Reset IAP's

Posted Aug 22, 2018 04:40 AM

Hi,

if the APs are at factory default they'll try to reach activate at least at every boot. But you can not build a policy in activate to "send" them to central. You have to add them into your central account. Central will then create a activate policy for you. If Aruba got the right information from your distribuor and activate and central accounts somehow match, then these APs are already assigned to your activate and central accounts and you just can select them in central.

Looks like this is not your case. So in central you can add them by MAC-address or serial number.

At next reboot, they should be visible in central. (takes some time).

So I suggest:

1. add them to central
    2. disable all but one (easier to see, whats going on) e.g by disabling PoE/Switchport/disconnecting them
    3. factory reset that one again or just reboot
    4. check in central
    5. restart the rest
    6. check in central
    7. they'll form a cluster again with the one started first as VC. Even if the rest is not defaulted, they should join the cluster, unless you disabled autojoin or disabled swarmode in bootenvironment or similar.

IP address should be provided by your infrastructure with DHCP (plus gateway, dns, ntp-timeserver, ...). Otherwise they'll not be able to reach central. Don't forget firewall rules, if one is in place.

Regards, Jö