Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Find firmware version of IAP

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  Find firmware version of IAP

Posted Oct 09, 2018 08:18 AM

Hi,

How can I find the InstantOS version of my IAP-207 which are in a Virtual Controller with Aruba OS version 6.5.4.8?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Oct 09, 2018 08:28 AM

Look under Maintenance -> Firmware or run the below CLI command

#show version

• 3.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

Posted Oct 09, 2018 08:34 AM

Hi Zalion0,

Here I see this:

Aruba Operating System Software.

ArubaOS (MODEL: 103), Version 6.5.4.8

but I don't see the InstantOS version

• 4.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

Posted Oct 10, 2018 04:36 AM

I think that the InstantOS-versions is gone after 6.5.1.x-4.3.1-x

If you browse the InstantOS on the support-site, you will see all new firmwares are named with 6.5.x.x (or 8.x.x.x) only.

• 5.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 10, 2018 07:14 AM

That is correct. Starting 6.5.2, the double numbering has gone as it confused some people.

In addition to that, there is just one firmware version in an Instant Cluster. So the same firmware (version) runs on the VC and on all the other APs. Virtual Controller is more like a role in the architecture that any AP in the cluster can take. So there is no difference between the VC firmware and the Instant firmware. This has never been the case, by the way.

• 6.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

Posted Oct 17, 2018 04:34 AM

Hi Herman,

I do not understand what you mean when you say "So there is no difference between the VC firmware and the Instant firmware". In my case, having a VC Version 6.5.4.8 I'll also have the same version for Instant firmware?

Thanks 

• 7.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 05:41 AM

Yes, the VC is one of the APs, and all APs run the exact same firmware regardless if they are VC or just member AP. So the AP firmware is the VC firmware.

• 8.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

Posted Oct 17, 2018 05:54 AM

Ok but in my VC 6.5.4.8 I have some AP-103 and the latest software version supported for this AP model is the Instant 4.2

It would be a contradiction

• 9.  RE: Find firmware version of IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 06:23 AM

Got you, I now understand the question and confusion.

Up to 6.5.2, all releases had a second version number, like 6.5.0.3-4.3.0.4. Starting 6.5.2 that second version number was left away, so you only see the first part.

For the IAP-103, you probably looked at the End of Life page, which for the 103 mentions: Instant 4.2 *. Then the asterisk (*) states under the table: Instant 4.2 with full feature support, Instant 6.5 with DPI disabled.

So you can run the IAP-103 up to (and including) Aruba Instant version 6.5.x. If you run a version 6.4/4.2 or below you can enable deep packet inspection, which powers AppRF. On later version 6.5.x or 4.3, the AP still is supported however without the DPI. This has to do with memory or CPU that could no longer fit the full feature set on the 103 hardware.