Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Get Aruba Instant Firmware

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:37 PM

Hi everybody:

I have on my own an Aruba AP-225 with ArubaOS 6.3.0.0 preloaded firmware. I need to change the firmware to Aruba Instant Centaurus 4.0.0.0 for my purposes, but I'm unable to find the place where these images can be downloaded from arubanetworks.com.

Could somebody send me the appropiate image file via DropBox, MEGA, etc? I appreciate the help.

Best regards!

Marc D.

• 2.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jul 16, 2014 02:57 PM

Is the AP model AP-225 or IAP-225.  If it is an AP-225 with ArubaOS on it, then you cannot put InstantOS on it.    IAPs can convert to Campus APs, but not the other way around.

For reference all software is available on the Support site with a login:  http://support.arubanetworks.com.

• 3.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jul 16, 2014 03:20 PM

Thanks for the fast response!

Uh oh, my devide is AP-225... But the datasheet of Aruba AP-220 series (http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/products/DS_AP220Series.pdf) says I can choose the operating mode, Controller-managed AP or Remote AP (RAP) running ArubaOS™ or Aruba Instant™ AP running InstantOS™. This two availale modes only applies on IAP devices? AP-225 and IAP-225 have the same hardware isn't it? I found surprising to not be able to change the firmware...

By the way; about the login process last week I have tried to register my device. The registration page said me to wait between 3 and 5 days to check my data, but still I don't have received any response. If software is available under the login I can't nowadays access to it. There is perhaps any additional steps I must do in order to obtain guaranteed access to the software?

Thanks a lot!

Marc D.

• 4.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 16, 2014 03:43 PM

You can email support@arubanetworks.com and inquire about your account creation (doing so will automatically open a TAC case).   Regardless of your access to the support portal, if you have an AP-225, you cannot put InstantOS on it.  

There are two modes to meet your management requirements (controller or Instant) as the datasheet shows below.   However, you need to choose whether you want an IAP or AP model before buying.    If you are in doubt, buy an IAP as it can convert back and forth; however, the "AP" variant model cannot be reconfigured as an Instant.  

1) Controller-managed Campus or Remote AP

2) InstantAP running InstantOS

ap225-modes.png

• 5.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jul 16, 2014 03:47 PM

OK, thanks for your clarifications.

• 6.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jun 19, 2015 01:15 AM

There's absolutely no way to re-flash the AP and install InstantOS on it? Seems kind of a waste of an AP when in a situation where controller-less configuration is desired.

David.

• 7.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2015 06:12 AM

webnetwiz,

We are restricted by the regulatory bodies to only allow devices that were purchased as an instant device to function as an instant device.  We do not have a choice.

• 8.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Jun 22, 2015 06:32 AM

just imagine controller-AP-based environments were you put factory-default AP's freshly unboxed into that network, or in case were AP gets faulty. then you would waste more time to setup/convert each unboxed IAP to AP with the maintenance conversion menu . 

i agree to that "wish" if IAP's would support DHCP options were they would convert them live by themselves during boot process to controller campus managed AP's . 

• 9.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2015 06:58 AM

bg,

Please post that request on the ideas portal.

The vast majority of users know what their AP will be used for ahead of time and purchase them based on how they will be deployed (campus or IAP) initially.  Mass conversions can already be done if you bring up all your IAPs in a single cluster and click on Convert.

• 10.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Nov 02, 2017 12:54 PM

If I need to convert an AP to instant AP or IAP , is there any license i have to buy.

In other way , i  have 8 IAP 103 and a Vistual controller installed. Can i conecte the AP 225 to the Vistual controller?

• 11.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Nov 02, 2017 02:18 PM

A campus access point (CAP), e.g. AP-225; can not be coverted to Instant access point (IAP), e.g. IAP-225-US

However vice versa (IAP -> CAP -> IAP) is possible.

This is because IAP-225-US has regulatory domain information with it, where as AP-225 does not & learns regulatory information from controller. Hence it can not work without a controller, i.e. in Instant mode.

• 12.  RE: Get Aruba Instant Firmware

Posted Dec 09, 2017 10:51 PM

I am just wondering if AP225 works OK with the controller  3400 ? If so, where is the best practic which I can bring it up to my own lab. Thanks.