Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Aug 26, 2016 07:30 PM

Hello,

We recently set up a CUPS printer server on a mac mini to better manage our printers. We have many visitors throughout the year, and we'd like it if they could use Bonjour for a 1-stop-shop kind of set up for the printers. I've got Bonjour working over ethernet, but I can't see the printer adverts when I'm on our wifi network (a system of IAPs). I immediately checked the settings in Aruba Instant to see if I could fix it. I have AirPrint enabled under AirGroups (under More>Services in the top right), and when I view the AirGroup page at the bottom of the screen, I can see the print server. However, the printers still don't show up when I try to add them on a macbook. I've tried 3 different macbooks so far, and the adverts they see are very varied; one can see an old print server, one cant see anything, and one COULD see the new server, but wasn't able to get any jobs sent through, however today I haven't been able to replicate this behavior again. 

Instant version: 6.4.2.6-4.1.3.0_54915

The server is connected over wire, but on the same subnet that the APs are connected to (not on the private subnet that is the wireless network). I also checked the Roles under Security, and opened all the bonjour ports (example syntax: Allow UDP on port 5353 to all destinations, but I have multiple rules for each Bonjour port). 

If I've accidentally left out any relevant information, just let me know and I'll get it for you. 

EDIT: I also disabled the broadcast filtering under the settings for the wlans

Thanks,

Lane

• 2.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2016 05:52 AM

In the Airgroup Configuration, can you make sure you have no disallowed roles or VLANs that would be blocking Airgroup to users?

• 3.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Aug 29, 2016 10:57 AM

hi cjoseph, 

Yes, I have no disallowed roles or vlan settings. 

-Lane

• 4.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Aug 29, 2016 12:51 PM

Another thing I've started to notice is that as I move around the building, I'm able to see different printers come and go. Like, they the printers aren't being shared uniformally to every access point. That's why the different macbooks were seeing different printers is because they were all in different rooms of the building.

• 5.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Aug 29, 2016 02:34 PM

I guess I should also mention that we don't have a clearpass server running yet. Is that required to get airgroup to work? I see it has some settings for CP under the AirGroup config page, but I didn't think you needed to have both set up.

• 6.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Aug 30, 2016 07:24 PM
      |   view attached

I ran some of the Support/Log commands in instant and attached them here if anyone can make sense of them. It looks like the virtual controller is recieving information from the printserver, which is why it shows up in instant, but none of the other APs recieve anything. The VC doesnt seem to be routing the requests through, as far as I can make out. 

Oh and the logs attached are only from the VC, none of the other APs had anything in their airgroup logs.

Attachment(s)

txt
    aruba-support-logs.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 31, 2016 04:57 AM

The tech support is limited to a single device and is redacted so it does not indicate anything.  Please open a TAC case, so that more information can be collected and analyzed.

• 8.  RE: Getting AirPrint to work on IAP network

Posted Oct 04, 2018 07:21 AM

Hi, I was wondering if you ever got this working fully? We have a similar issue with Smart Boards where they drop off the airplay list randomly, then appear again. 

So just thought i'd see if you fixed the printers.

Thanks

Jo