Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:29 PM

This is the 2nd time this has occurred where I have went through setting up a guest SSID and I selected the "guest" option under the 1st step "WLAN Settings" then selected Virtual Controller managed for client IP assignment and default for client VLAN assignment.  Security is "none" and access is "unrestricted".  The client connects and gets a 172.31.x.x like they are supposed but are unable to access the internet.  Any ideas?  

The IAP has 2 other SSIDs that are assigned to different VLANs and they work fine.  The AP IP address is on a management VLAN and this subnet has access to the internet (assuming the 172.31.x.x NAT's the IP address of the AP)

• 2.  RE: Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2017 03:54 PM

Does this client get an ip address?  Yes?  Can the client do an nslookup?  If not, check to make sure that the ip address of the IAP can reach the internet, since that is the traffic that is natted out...

• 3.  RE: Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

Posted Mar 09, 2017 04:06 PM

yeah it's getting an IP and is able to nslookup but it's using the internal DNS.  We just found out the firewall was blocking traffic so now users on the guest network can get out to the internet.  Question though, how do we change the DNS server for guest access to Google's DNS so it isn't querying the internal DNS (potential security issue).

• 4.  RE: Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

Posted Mar 09, 2017 05:27 PM

I think I found out how to change the internal DHCP for guest networks - 

http://www.ebrahma.com/2013/09/aruba-networks-what-is-iap-magic-vlan/

• 5.  RE: Guest network on IAP 315 not working?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 10, 2017 12:13 PM

You can do this by creating a local DHCP scope and assigning the required DNS servers there. 

dhcp-server.jpeg