Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest network wrong IP address

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Guest network wrong IP address

MVP
    Posted Oct 02, 2013 03:01 PM

Hi AirHeads Community,

So here is some background information:

Just upgraded wireless environment from Cisco to IAP-105 with 2 SSID Employee type networks. 1 network is set to obtain IP address from core network (192.168.x.x address), but the other (Guest w/ Pre-Shared Key) is set to have the virtual controller assign the IP addresses (172.x.x.x). When client connects to Guest network with his Android Phone (which used to be associated with old wireless network) he is still obtaining a 192.168.x.x IP. Is there somewhere that might cache his IP/MAC and continue to give out a 192.168.x.x address? On the device it never fully obtains an IP, but in the VC it see's the client as a 192.168.x.x . Could switching from 1 ssid to the guest ssid have cached his IP on an Android? 

Thanks for the help!

• 2.  RE: Guest network wrong IP address

Posted Oct 02, 2013 03:22 PM

That shouldn't happen but you should check the following :

test_iap# show  arp

and maybe clear arp for that particular AP

• 3.  RE: Guest network wrong IP address

MVP
    Posted Oct 02, 2013 04:16 PM

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the client. We did some troubleshooting and were able to re-create the problem. After some investigation, I found that source-NAT was causing the issue. Not sure why, but it was causing clients to not receive an IP from the VC and causing them not to associate. Removed Source-NAT from the ACL and now it works fine. 

Note: Source-NAT was used so the firewall didn't have to be changed and DID work at first. Not sure what caused it to stop.

Thanks for the help! If the problem comes up again, I will re-update.