Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Help me understand what happens ...

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Help me understand what happens ...

Posted Jun 17, 2020 05:39 PM

For reasons that aren't important I have a task to split up several existing instant clusters into smaller clusters and have therefore created a bunch of new management vlans (basically I've hade several sites in bigger cluster and now I want to seperate them).

However when I try to do what makes sense in my head to split the cluster things get ...weird, and I don't quite understand why.

Basically this is what I've done:

1. Created new management vlans for the accesspoints I want to move out of existing cluster.

2. I log onto the switch the accesspoint I want to move is connected to and power down the port

3. Remove the accesspoint from Airwave just for the heck of it (I've tride skipping this step but it didnät change anything).

4. Untag the new management vlan to the port.

5. Turn the power back on again.

So far more or less as planned.

6. The accesspoint that I moved to the new management vlan shows up after a while as well as a new instant cluster that is named the same as the cluster it was previously on.

This is where things get weird and it's a litte difficult to keep track of what happens in which order.

7. The accesspoint joins the previoulsy existing cluster.

8. All the other accesspoints goes "offline" for a short while and then joins the newly created instant cluster (from step 6).

I know this based on the fact that the settings remain for one of the cluster whilte the other one gets "default settings".

9. The accesspoint I tried to move to a new cluster as well as one of the clusters (hard to tell which one since they're named the same) goes offline and online a few times, probably to get the new settings/firmware or something.

At this point I've basically acoplished what I set out to do, split one cluster into two, but I seem to have gone and done it  the complete opposite way I intended.

That is by having the accesspoint on the new management vlan kick out all of the accesspoint, still on the old management vlan the cluster is based on, from the old instant cluster onto the newly created instant cluster instead of it moving to the newly created cluster.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm just trying to understand what happens when I do this.

I feel fairly confident that I've missed a step somewhere along the way (perhaps I new to reset the accesspoint I want to move or something?).

• 2.  RE: Help me understand what happens ...

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 17, 2020 06:06 PM

1.) Do you have these configured in Aruba Central?

2.) Have you tried turning off Auto-Join on the old cluster VC?

3.) Have you tried deleting the AP form the old cluster via the old cluster VC prior to moving it to the new VLAN?

• 3.  RE: Help me understand what happens ...

Posted Jun 18, 2020 03:13 AM

1.) Do you have these configured in Aruba Central?

No, it a local Airwave installation.

2.) Have you tried turning off Auto-Join on the old cluster VC?

We use layer 2 with DHCP options for the auto joining and since I moved the accesspoint to a new management vlan (IP scope) I feel that it should have created a new instant cluster ?

3.) Have you tried deleting the AP form the old cluster via the old cluster VC prior to moving it to the new VLAN?

I deleted it in the Airwave GUI, I dunno if this accomplishes the same thing as what you're asking ?

• 4.  RE: Help me understand what happens ...

Posted Jun 18, 2020 07:34 AM

Hi,

Im not sure for 100%, so excuse.

First:

But I remember something regarding an Cluster ID, or key which is unique to the instant cluster...

So that could be a problem regarding Airwave and config propagation...

Second: Have you modified the DHCP Settings for the new management VLAN ?

I would disable that.

Third: Maybe you should just reset an AP, to use as a new VC, and restore the config

Other APs that are moved to the new segment should then join these vc...

Not much, but I hope that helps ?