Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I assign a static IP to a wireless printer?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  How do I assign a static IP to a wireless printer?

Posted Feb 26, 2014 05:04 PM

I think I'm missing something. This should be easy.

We have an Aruba 2400 running 5.0.4.11 with 20 AP's.

A department just purchased a wireless printer.  I need to assign it a static IP address so our servers can print to it (the servers can't do dynamic DNS - they are colocated behind firewalls and the colo company assigns their own  IP to my printer which gets NAT'd in the firewall to my real static IP).

Shouldn't I be able to set up a MAC reservation in the Aruba DHCP server? I thought about using MAC-auth, but I didn't see the option to assign a static IP there either.

Sorry if I posted this incorrectly - this is my first venture into ARuba wireless.

Thanks for any help!

• 2.  RE: How do I assign a static IP to a wireless printer?

Posted Feb 26, 2014 08:42 PM

You can reserve the IP address based on printer MAC address by using your DHCP server.

Configure the fix IP address on the wireless printer "Control Panel" or use the wireless printer software to discover your printer then configure it.

• 3.  RE: How do I assign a static IP to a wireless printer?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2014 09:04 PM

The controller's built in DHCP server cannot create DHCP reservations. You would have to use an external DHCP server. Your other option would be to exclude a few address from the DHCP scope and statically assign the address on the device (not recommended).

• 4.  RE: How do I assign a static IP to a wireless printer?

Posted Feb 27, 2014 09:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to avoid using the external DHCP, but I can do that.