Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 09:30 AM

We have run into an issue at our k-12 school.  The available ip addresses are critically low in our dhcp server, and running completely out at times.  The decision was made to create a new scope just for wireless devices.

My question is, how do I reconfigure the controller to use the new scope?  My controller is the Aruba3400 and our AP's are the AP105.

Thanks,

Todd

• 2.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 09:42 AM

Are your APs connected directly to your controller ? If no then you shouldn't have to do anything unless you have an ACL attached to the controller interfaces allowing certain IP Space to reach the controller.

Are you using static IP addresses ?

• 3.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 09:51 AM

Do you mean static ip's for the AP's?  If so, the answer is no.  The AP's are not directly connected to the controller.

Our AP's are in three different scopes and in three different vlans, but they pull ip's from the scope where the controller resides.

• 4.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:11 AM

The scopes are defined in your controller or external DHCP server ?

• 5.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:23 AM

External dhcp server.

Thanks

• 6.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:28 AM

No need to make any changes on the controller, you only need to make the change in your switches access ports that the APs are connected and make sure that new scopes from a network stand point and reach the controller .

In your case the only VLANs that the controller cares about are the Clients/Devices VLANs .

• 7.  RE: How do I change the default scope that the ap's use?

Posted Mar 27, 2014 10:44 AM

Thanks for the concise answer!  I kind of suspected that, but I didn't want to face the reality of reconfiguring my network.  Sigh....