Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I setup a simple guest SSID on my Aruba Instant virtual controller?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  How do I setup a simple guest SSID on my Aruba Instant virtual controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2016 10:56 PM

Hi,

I am interested in setting up a simple SSID for guest access on my network.   No captive portal, no splash pages... just simple guest access with WPA-2 encryption.    I am trying to get the virtual controller to assign IP addresses in the 10.10.10.x network, which is NOT the same network as my trusted devices / users.     Additionally, I would like to limit the guest users to internet - only access (even the guest knows the ip address of a trusted device, the guest cannot get to it).

I think i have gotten the DHCP setup, however, the access limitiations (internet-only) is giving me problems.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: How do I setup a simple guest SSID on my Aruba Instant virtual controller?

• 3.  RE: How do I setup a simple guest SSID on my Aruba Instant virtual controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2016 12:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, however, i am still seeing confusing results.   I have found that if i create a guest SSID, select "Virtual Controller Managed" for client IP, and "Default" for client vlan assignment, i am able to get what appears to be a random IP assigned to a guest client.

However, when i try to create a specific DHCP server and custom vlan, my clients are unable to join.    I think it is clear that i am misunderstanding something.    That being said, can anyone tell me what the "default" vlan assignment settings are?     If i understand what they are, i assume i could replicate with custom settings (custom IP pool, etc).

Additionally, for access restrictions, is there any clear way to limit guest network clients to "Internet only?"   Basically, i want guest clients to have no access to any local resources what so ever... just external WAN access.   I was unable to find any clear guidance on this in the videos provided previously.

Many thanks!