Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

Posted Mar 19, 2014 01:16 PM

It is understood that if Activate is used, then an IAP can be redirected to Central via a provisioning rule. However, if an IAP is manually added into Central using its MAC address and Cloud Activation Key, by what mechanism is the IAP informed to look to Central in order to be provisioned?

• 2.  RE: How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:28 PM

HI Johnny, the manual addition of IAPs in Central triggers an API call to move the device in Activate to the right customer. When the IAP boots up it reaches out to activate ..which in turn gives it the right provisioning rule.

• 3.  RE: How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

Posted Mar 20, 2014 04:57 AM

Thanks for that information. Just to make that crystal clear (to me!)...

1. IAPs are manually added to Central using MAC address and Cloud Activation key.

2. Central informs Activate (via a back end process) to redirect the devices that have been manually added.

3. Activate generates a provisioning rule (again via a backend process) to redirect those devices.

4. IAP boots, looks to Activate for provisioning, which redirects it to Central.

I have looked in Activate and found the provisioning rule, but there is no identity information relating to the IAPs - do I assume correctly that this information is held in a back end database of some kind? It is much clearer for devices that are already in Activate, and that have been given a provisioning rule to redirect them to Central, as all of the relevant information (device identity and provisioning rule) is clearly visible.

Please feel free to correct or clarify points that I may have misinterpreted from your reply.

Thanks very much.

Johnny.

• 4.  RE: How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 02:45 PM

Your interpretation is accurate.

• 5.  RE: How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

Posted Mar 21, 2014 10:15 AM

Hi,

do you know if is it possible to get the Cloud Activation without powered the AP ?

Regards

Yann

• 6.  RE: How do IAPs, manually added into Central, know to look to Central for their config?

Posted Mar 21, 2014 10:19 AM

Yann,

As far as I am aware, the cloud activation key is only accessible from the Maintanance tab on the IAP, which means that the IAP has to be powered on.

Johnny.