Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 12:57 PM

Hi,

I am new to Aruba wifi and need help adding a AP105 to an existing 105 network.  I have 9 APs in the group and would like to grow this infrastructure.

• 2.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 01:10 PM

Is the new IAP in the same VLAN/Segment as the rest of your IAPs?

Do you have autojoin enabled ?

• 3.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 02:06 PM

Hi Victor,

Yes, its on the same vlan and auto join is enabled in the advanced section of system.

• 4.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 02:45 PM

So if the plan is to have it join to existing network , all you have to do is plug it to the network and it should be able to update itself the cluster IAPOs version and config

• 5.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 03:06 PM

Hi Victor, Thank you for the in formation. How do i configure a name for the device?Console in? whats the command to consol into the device? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

• 6.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 03:12 PM
    You can wait until it joins the cluster and then find the mac address and name it from there

But from the console you can run the following command:
    IAP (config) # name <IAP Name>
    IAP # commit apply

• 7.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 03:24 PM

Hi Victor,

Thank you!

Regards,

• 8.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Aug 03, 2018 12:46 AM

Hi ,

I have a question.

If both cluster and new IAP are on same VLAN, how do new IAP knows that it has to report to a perticular virtual controller.

untill unless configuring the Virtual controller IP address manually in IAP the reporting won't happen.

Please help me on this.

• 9.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2018 10:32 AM

Jayapalreddy.odem@gmail.com wrote:

Hi ,

I have a question.

If both cluster and new IAP are on same VLAN, how do new IAP knows that it has to report to a perticular virtual controller.

untill unless configuring the Virtual controller IP address manually in IAP the reporting won't happen.

Please help me on this.

The existing IAP cluster will heartbeat on the management VLAN to elect a virtual controller and determine that the existing VC is still operational. The new IAP goining the network will hear those and discover the current active VC to join.

• 10.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Aug 03, 2018 10:36 AM
    If I try to add IAP 305 to 315 virtual controller will it work even though
    with different firmware versions.

• 11.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2018 10:39 AM

Jayapalreddy.odem@gmail.com wrote:
    If I try to add IAP 305 to 315 virtual controller will it work even though
    with different firmware versions.

No, the cluster needs to run the same firmware across all APs in the cluster. When attempting to add a 305/315, the new AP will try to download firmware to match the rest of the cluster. If it is unable to download matching firmware, it will fail to join. 

If you are expecting to add newer APs to the cluster, the cluster should be upgraded first to ensure it's ready to handle the new AP(s).

• 12.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 01:17 PM
    Is it an AP-105 or IAP-105-xx?

• 13.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 01:37 PM

Hi,

The device says AP-105-US

• 14.  RE: How do i add a new AP105 to an existing network (Virtual controller?)

Posted Jan 23, 2015 01:38 PM

my mistake it says IAP-105-US