Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

Posted Feb 26, 2019 03:12 PM

So I have 4 IAP in a cluster that is connected to L2 switch. I also have an Apple TV connected on the same switch same Vlan as IAP management IP. I was curious to know how does IAP learns mDNS for Apple TV via switch?  

• 2.  RE: How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

• 3.  RE: How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

• 4.  RE: How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

Posted Feb 27, 2019 11:53 AM

Thanks. But since Apple TV is connected to a layer 2 switch (same vlan as AP) and not directly connected to AP via wireless how does AP learns about controller & mDNS when it acts as Bonjour Gateway?

If Apple TV connects to AP via wifi it's clear but I am not sure if Apple TV advertises to L2 switch and AP learns it from the switch? 

• 5.  RE: How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2019 03:20 PM

Mdns is a layer 2 multicast that can be seen by every device on the layer 2 subnet.  If it shares a layer 2 network with the controller the controller can see it.  If a user associates to the access point/controller, the controller can decide, if the user requests services, which services it can advertise as available to the user.

• 6.  RE: How does IAP learn Apple TV on wired network?

Posted Apr 12, 2019 10:57 AM