Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to upgrade when the image file is too large

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  How to upgrade when the image file is too large

Posted Jul 02, 2015 07:59 AM

I am working on an Aruba Wireless Controller Model 650. It is currently running OS version 6.1.3.4 and a request has been submitted to update it to version 6.4.2.8. I don't normally work with Aruba devices, but I have followed the upgrade instructions in the release notes, first backing up the configuration, then going into image management and selecting the nonboot partition on which to perform the upgrade. However, I get the following message:

"FAILED: Image too large for partition size. Image: 106038, partion: 47185920"

I'm not sure what to do from this point on and I haven't found another post about it. With my limited experience working on Aruba appliances, I want to be careful that I don't go and try to erase things to make sure and break something. 

Right now, the default boot is on partition 0. I tried updating on partition 1 when I got that message. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: How to upgrade when the image file is too large

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2015 08:03 AM
    1. The release notes details instructions on how to delete files from flash to free up space.
    2. If you cannot do that, there might be some hidden files TAC can delete for you.
    3. Try upgrading on the command line using tftp or ftp.

• 3.  RE: How to upgrade when the image file is too large

Posted Jul 02, 2015 08:36 AM

Thanks. Digging through the release notes some more, I found this requirement:

"For controllers running ArubaOS 3.x. versions earlier than ArubaOS 3.4.4.1, download the               latest version of ArubaOS 3.4.5.x". That applies to this situation, so I suppose we have to get that 3.4.5.x version first.

• 4.  RE: How to upgrade when the image file is too large

Posted Jul 02, 2015 09:30 AM

Just realized I read the numbers wrong. I do have a late enough OS for this and it said it only needs at least 75 MB of free space, which there is more than that on there. Not sure yet, but I will see what flash files can be deleted and keep trying.

• 5.  RE: How to upgrade when the image file is too large

Posted Jul 02, 2015 09:37 AM

I tried command line, but now it gave the message: "Error determining image version"

Any thoughts?

• 6.  RE: How to upgrade when the image file is too large

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2015 09:51 AM

Did you change the filename?  Did you check the md5 signature to make sure the file you downloaded is not corrupt?