Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Jul 08, 2016 07:31 PM

I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel. Currently the AP monitors different channels.

How to set it so it will only monitor one channel?

Thank you

• 2.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 09, 2016 06:46 AM

Is it an IAP or controller-based AP?

• 3.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Jul 11, 2016 03:54 PM
    Hi cjoseph,

It is an IAP solution.
    Thanks you for you help

Regards,
    Hicham

• 4.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Aug 23, 2016 01:07 PM

Hi

I am still stuck at his issue. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

Thanks,
    Hicham

• 5.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 01:19 PM

You can certainly set an IAP to AM mode and monitor a single channel, but what do you want to do with the information?  Packet capture?  IDS/IPS?  What you want to do on that channel will determine what you need to do.

• 6.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Aug 23, 2016 01:23 PM

Hi

They will be used for packets capturing ONLY. They will not provide any access to any clients or broadcast any messages. Basically they will be working as packets sniffers in promiscuous mode.

Thanks,

Hicham

• 7.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 03:29 PM
      |   view attached

Sorry for taking so long, but the articles that I saw for IAP packet capture did not explain everything.  Attached is something I put together quickly, so I'm sorry in advance.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    IAP-PCAP.pdf   560 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:40 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the doc you put together and for your time.

We already have the IPA configured as AM and we are doing packets capturing. But what we noticed is the IAP are cycling through the valid channels. For instance we have configured the valid channels for 2.4 Ghz to [1, 6, 11].

But we couldn't figure out how to force

e.g IAP1 to monitor only channel  1

IAP2 to monitor only channel 6

IAP3 to monitor only channel 11.

So when we are capturing if we log into CLI and isssue this command "show ap monitor status" we see AP1 cycling through all valid channels and not staying on 1.

I hope this gives you a better idea about our setup and the issue we are facing.

I have attached a documenet to show the IAP setting and the channel hopping that we observed

Regards,

Hicham

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AP settings as AM.pdf   203 KB 1 version

• 9.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 06:53 PM
    Did you set the channel in the pcap start command?

• 10.  RE: I have Aruba 200 series and I want to set it to AM mode and monitor only 1 channel.

Posted Aug 23, 2016 08:06 PM

Hi Joe,

I just tried it. Once the capture started, the IAP is locked to whatever channel number we gave it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards,

Hicham