Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 11:48 AM

I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible?.

I want my controller to perform routing between 2 of my WLANs, I saw a deployment example but I don't get it to work.

• 2.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2015 11:57 AM
    Are you planning on using ospf or static routes? 

Thanks, 
    Tim

• 3.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 11:59 AM

hi,

I just need static routing. I have all my APs in tunnel mode. I have 3 WLANs, for 2 of them the WLC should be the gateway, the other is just layer 2 because that traffic should be delivered to a FW because is an external WLC-

• 4.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:05 PM

Hi,

Is the client traffic from those WLAN is terminating on the controller where you want to route the traffic ? if yes simply create VLAN interfaces and apply IP address, this will populate the routes into the Routing table and you can have inter VLAN routing.

Please feel free for any further query on this.

• 5.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:07 PM

Hi,

Can you share the output of "show ip route " and "show ip interface brief"

I will get more clarity If get the above.

• 6.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:19 PM

VLAN 83 is for connecting to the APs.

VLAN 1 is the default but I'm not currently using it.

VLAN 80 and 82 are the ones I want the controller to make the layer 3. I have the option inter-vlan routing enable.

VLAN 78 is the one that is going directly in Layer 2 to a Firewall because is an external network.

I have a DHCP pool for VLAN 80 and 82.

I don't have my routes configured yet. I'm trying that users get and IP from VLAN 80 and 82 to test.

(CONTROLLER_WIFI) #show ip interface brief
    Interface                   IP Address / IP Netmask        Admin   Protocol
    vlan 83                  172.16.4.11 / 255.255.255.0     up      up
    vlan 1                    172.16.0.254 / 255.255.255.0     up      up
    vlan 78                   unassigned / unassigned        up      up
    vlan 80                  10.20.0.1 / 255.255.255.0        up      up
    vlan 82                     10.10.0.1 / 255.255.255.0     up      up
    loopback                    unassigned / unassigned        up      up

ip dhcp pool WLAN_APP
     default-router 10.10.0.1
     dns-server 8.8.8.8
     lease 8 0 0 0
     network 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.0
     authoritative
    !
    service dhcp

• 7.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:45 PM

Hi,

I asked you the output of "show ip route" to check whether you have configured the gateway for the controller itself or not and also to check whether routes for VLAN 80, 82 and 83 are populated or not.

Please check the above. as per my knowledge issue is in the routing itself.

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 8.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:41 PM

Ok. Thanks. It is working now. I found that is not necessary associate none of those VLANs to any phisical port when the WLC is the Layer 2 gw. The interfaces come UP or Down (protocol) if there is any user connected.

Thanks a lot!

• 9.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 11:59 AM

Hi Friend,

yes it is possible. Controller will support complete L3 fuctionality. 

Provide more description about the deployment such as,

1. What is the LMS of the AP ?

2. What is the forwarding mode ( tunnel or bridge)

3. What is the expected VLAN of the clients and VLAN mapped to the VAP

Provide the above info to understand the issue/

Please feel free for any further help on this.

• 10.  RE: I have a 7030 controller but I want the controller to perform layer 3 for my clients, is it possible

Posted Feb 12, 2015 12:04 PM

hi, thanks,

There are 3 VLANs and 3 WLAN. I want the controller to be the default gateway for 2 of them.

I have 3 VAPs each one in tunnel mode. I put a different VLAN in each one.

I put a Layer 3 IP on VLAN interfaces for the VLANs I want the controller to be the gateway.

What is a LMS?

Thanks,,