Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 11:52 AM

I am pretty new to this stuff.  We bought two IAP-105s and they are in a mesh together.  I can access the admin page and see there are two of them.  We bought a third IAP-105 and it won't join them.  I checked the bottom and it says IAP-105 as I know many people have had the problem of trying to add an AP-105.

PWR solid green

ENET blinking green

11AN  solid red

11BGN solid red

It's strange also because once I joined the two APs together the 'instant' SSID disappeared.  Should this happen?  Is this why auto-join is not working?  The SSID of our network that I setup is still there and works fine.

What can I try? Where should I go from here?

• 2.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 12:02 PM

The "Instant" SSID is the provisioning SSID so you can configure the AP over the air.  This disappears after your real SSIDs are configured and someone has successfully attached to the real SSIDs.   Also, if one AP has been configured it becomes the "master" AP for the group -- we call it the "Virtual Controller (VC)".  When a new member AP joins the group the VC automatically pushes the config to the new member so you will never see the "Instant" SSID from the new AP.

Auto-Join is enabled by default and it allows new member APs to join the group.

It is possible that your third AP is unable to join due to a SW mismatch.  Check the version on the two APs then check the version on the third.

Also, make sure that "Extended SSID" support is disabled as this would prevent the mesh link from coming up.

• 3.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 12:06 PM

Thank you for the information.

My current IAP-105s are up to date with firmware.  This new one is probably not.  Would that keep it from joining?  If so, how do I go about updating this IAP-105 if I can't get to it?

I have tried resetting the new IAP by holding down the reset button and plugging it in but it didn't help.

• 4.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 12:18 PM

Our SW updates are hosted on our cloud-based SW update server.  First, however, updates are posted to our Tech Support site and they appear on the Cloud 3 - 4 weeks later.  If the latest update has not made it to the cloud yet then the new AP cannot get the latest.  You can log into the TAC site and download a copy to your PC.  Have the 3rd IAP on an isolated Vlan (from the other 2) and connect to its WebUI, go to Maintenance>SW Updates> then browse to your PC and point to the update on your PC.

• 5.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 01:01 PM

Ok so I hooked this up to a stand alone switch (off our network) and it came up with instant and I am able to get into the GUI.  It's the same version of firmware as my current IAP-105s. 

What should I do now?  Why would it not join?

• 6.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 04:20 PM

Oops actually it's not the same version.  

6.2.0.0-3.2.0.2_37229 current APs

6.1.3.1-3.0.0.1-33617

How and where can I get the firmware so I can update it?

• 7.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 05:15 PM

Log into the Tech Support site, go to Software Downloads>Instant>Current Releases.

• 8.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 05:29 PM

I tried to but it says I don't have a contract or something.  This is a brand new AP... Do I really need a contract just to get firmware upgrades?

• 9.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 05:31 PM

I bought this from Dell. 

• 10.  RE: IAP-105 won't join mesh network, red lights

Posted Apr 18, 2013 05:34 PM

If this is a Dell branded IAP you will need to contact Dell support.  You should get free SW for the first 90 days.