Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

Posted Aug 20, 2015 12:42 PM

Hi,

I have a new IAP-205-RW (JL184A) setup in a residential environment. It is running firmware 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.4_49446, I have 3 seperate SSID's setup (personal, guest, other) which are tied to their respective VLANs. All 3 SSID's have the same settings aside from the name and the VLAN tag. I am using ARM with 2.4/5ghz and I have it set to prefer 5ghz with fair access, everything else is default settings. I have 7 wireless clients: 2x AC smartphones, 1x AN tablet, 1x GN ipod, 2x GN Chromecast, 1x G device.

I have noticed that after the unit boots up, I detect no 5ghz signal from Radio 2 (using wifi analyzer on android), if I select the AP in the VC and click on "Monitoring" it shows me:

Radio 1 : 2.4 GHz - Chan. 11

Radio 2 : 5 Ghz - Chan. 132E

The status LED on the unit are all lit up green on the unit even when the 5ghz doesn't appear to be working.

If I reboot the unit, the 5ghz signal will sometimes appear, once the 5ghz signal appears everything works great, until of course, the unit gets rebooted.

Any idea why the unit would boot up and not output a 5ghz signal?

Thanks,

Scott.

• 2.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 01:05 PM

What is the regulatory domain?

• 3.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

Posted Aug 20, 2015 01:08 PM

Hey Colin,

It is CA - Canada

Thanks,

Scott.

• 4.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 01:11 PM
    I would honestly try to upgrade to 4.1.1.8 to deal with any hidden issues with 4.1.1.4.

You should be able to broadcast on 5ghz in CA.

• 5.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

Posted Aug 20, 2015 01:23 PM

Hey Colin,

Yes, I'm pretty sure Canada/US are similar. It was working fine on Channel 149E last night/this morning but then I was tinkering around with it and I rebooted it and now there is no 5ghz output since the last reboot.

Okay I don't mind upgrading it, however I may have a small problem, I setup my firewall to allow access to "device.arubanetworks.com", so that it could preform firmware upgrades, and it said that 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.7_50209 is available, if I upgrade to 4.1.1.7 will there then be another upgrade available after that to 4.1.1.8? Unfortunately I don't have access to the support area to download manual updates so I can grab 4.1.1.8.

Thanks,

Scott.

• 6.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 01:35 PM
    Scott,

Please PM me with you email address and I will send you 4.1.1.8

• 7.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

Posted Aug 20, 2015 03:04 PM

Thanks for 4.1.1.8 Colin.

I preformed the upgrade, when it rebooted, the 5ghz was working.

I waited about 45 minutes and rebooted the AP, via the UI, and when it came back online, no 5ghz. I won't be constantly rebooting this thing but I just want to make sure that it isn't a hardware issue incase I need to return it for replacement within return window.

Thanks,

Scott.

• 8.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 03:06 PM

You should open a TAC case, then.  I just wanted to eliminate any software issues first.  

• 9.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 20, 2015 04:32 PM
    Scott, how long after the reboot did the 5ghz appear if at all?
    Some dfs channels will take a while to start broadcasting as they go through a wait time of checking to make sure there is no radar. That wait time is normally a minute or so but some channels can be many more. Not sure if that is the same for Canada though.

• 10.  RE: IAP-205 - No 5ghz output

Posted Aug 22, 2015 12:11 PM

@Michael

I will admit that until yesterday I didn't know much about use of the 5ghz band especially the DFS channels. It turns out that when I thought that the 5ghz wasn't working, the radio was using a DFS channel and I now believe that it was working fine all along whether it was using a DFS channel or not. Apparently, the Google Nexus line of devices to not support the use of DFS channels in US/Canada because (internet hearsay) they didn't want to obtain certification for them or I've also read they didn't like the poor battery performance when scanning all the 5ghz channels was enabled. I think my AP is working as it should. Unfortunately, right now I don't have any 5ghz devices that are non-Nexus/Android to test using a DFS channel. Thanks for leading me down the right path!

When I do get my hands on a 5ghz device that supports DFS channels, I will test it out and report back for others that stumble upon this thread in the future.

For now, I customized the valid channels and removed all the DFS channels and everything has been working great.

@Colin

Thanks again for all your help. I was in contact with support and they helped me figure out the proper channels I need to use to open a support ticket but I think because of the DFS channel discovery, as per above, I will hold off opening a ticket for now.

Now I just have to figure out why my Chromecast(s) won't stay listed as an AirGroup server and I'll be all set but that's a topic for another thread.

Thanks,

Scott.