Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-205 and AP-303H cluster - ipgrade firmware

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IAP-205 and AP-303H cluster - ipgrade firmware

Posted Jun 13, 2020 11:49 PM

We have a small cluster with a couple of AP-303H and an IAP-205 (we plan on retiring it soon).

Currently they are running version 6.5.4.12 which is when they stopped being able to auto upgrade. My understanding is that because the 303H would try to get version 8x which is not supported by the 205. I see the latest supported version for the 205 is 6.5.4.17.

So what's the best approach to upgrade the cluster? Which public URLs should I use to point them via the GUI, or should I do this command line?

Also, would it best to remove the 205 from the cluster and keep it alone and upgrade the rest to 8x, or keep them all at 6.5?

TIA.

• 2.  RE: IAP-205 and AP-303H cluster - ipgrade firmware

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2020 05:23 AM

if the cluster includes both IAP-205 and AP-303H, then it can not be upgraded beyond version 6.5.4.x

The latest version in that firmware train is 6.5.4.17

• 3.  RE: IAP-205 and AP-303H cluster - ipgrade firmware

Posted Jun 15, 2020 11:52 AM

Correct. I understand that the highest I can go is 6.5.4.17.

* How do i upgrade the cluster to that? Doing a 'firmware check' doesn't work. Looks like I have to download the individual firmware and point to the URL?

* Could I run the IAP-205 separate under 6.5 and the others under 8x giving out the same SSID? I guess it would be like running different brand APs. Clients would do a full association when roaming to the new one, right?

* Or just send a couple of 303H and shut down the 205 until we can get access to replace it.

TIA.

• 4.  RE: IAP-205 and AP-303H cluster - ipgrade firmware
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 15, 2020 07:02 PM

you can have your IAP-205s running 6.5.4.x and your AP-303H running 8.x but you need to ensure the mgmt VLAN or the VLAN where the APs get their IP addresses are different. This way you are creating 2x IAP clusters.

The SSIDs that you broadcast on both the cluster can be the same with the same user VLAN corresponding to those SSIDs across the two clusters.

you can download the Instant firmware from ASP (asp.arubanetworks.com) and then upgrade the two clusters separately.