Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 205H without uplink

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:13 AM

Hi All,

Here i am again with this repeated issue. What i have concluded is (after doing practical and searching on airhead) that IAP 205H goes to Amber - Solid state without broadcasting any SSID if i power it on using adapter and there is no ethernet uplink. As soon as i connect the uplink (with DHCP server enabled on other side), it will start advertising SSID. After finding solutions at community, i did the following

1) Disable SSID on uplink failure (unchecked). I also confirmed at CLI, under uplink configuration, work-without-uplink command was there.

2) Management Enfore Uplink: None (changed it to ethernet and back to None)

I tried above but no use. If there is no uplink, IAP will not advertise the SSID. There is one more solution, to change the IAP to standalone mode (i havent tried it). But i dont want to convert it to SA mode. I want to keep it in IAP and advertise SSID without any uplink.

Is that possible ? if yes, am i facing any bugs ? any option missing ?

If its not possible then please let me know. Actually i am more into diving how things work instead of just getting them to work

• 2.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:20 AM

If you are trying to do a survey with the AP you need to convert the AP to a standalone AP first.  Please see the post here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Site-Survey-with-IAP-Manual/m-p/57274/highlight/true#M549

• 3.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:25 AM

Hi Colin,

Sir i already discussed that, i dont want to convert it to standalone. I want to understand the behavior and also is it possible for an IAP to broadcast SSID without an uplink (and without standalone mode)

• 4.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, broadcasting without uplink is not possible without converting to standalone mode.

• 5.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:33 AM

Hi Colin,

i am sure this behavior would be discussed in user guide or some where. Is it possible you can direct me or guide me where its mentioned.

• 6.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 10:37 AM

If you are an HPE employee, I would go to https://arubapedia.arubanetworks.com and click on the "HP Employee" link to login.  Then search for instant site survey

• 7.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 11:35 AM

Thanks Colin, i will check that just now.

But can you help me understand what does this option does

Disable SSID on uplink failure (unchecked), isnt it supposed to do what i am expecting ? in case of no uplink still advertising the SSID ? if it doesnt, what is the purpose of this option

• 8.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 11:44 AM

Hi Colin, 

I checked arubapedia as you said, got the same standalone mode. It doesnt explain the WHY it doesnt work (or if its not allowed to work) if there is no uplink for IAP (in IAP mode).

If this was such important, it should be mentioned in user guide.

Secondly, what is the use of this option then, when does it comes to play

Disable SSID on uplink failure

• 9.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 11:55 AM

I don't think you will find that explanation anywhere.  There are alot of processes that depend on having an uplink and an ip address and putting it into standalone mode removes that requirement system-wide.  I am not sure that when Instant was created the idea was to have a single button that would make it a site survey AP.

• 10.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 11:57 AM

I agree Colin, 

But if possible just one last thing. What is the purpose of this check

Disable SSID on uplink failure.

What is the use case for this ?

• 11.  RE: IAP 205H without uplink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 04, 2015 12:01 PM

Standalone mode allows an AP to work without an ip address on bootup.

Disable SSID on uplink failure allows an SSID to continue functioning, even if the uplink to the AP is removed.  It is possible that the IAP is assigning addresses to clients on that SSID using its own internal DHCP server.

A site survey AP would require a combination of both.