Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

Posted Apr 04, 2017 12:26 PM

Hello, I had a question regarding the follow models of IAP-215:

Rest of World (IAP-215-RW)

Japan (IAP-215-JP)

I was checking through the selectable countries in the -RW model of AP and noticed that Japan was present in the list (code: JP3).  I configured the -RW model AP to the “JP3” country code and pulled the allowed channels and transmit power restrictions from the CLI.

I then checked the -JP model of AP, I noticed that it also used the country code of “JP3”.  When I pulled the allowed channels and transmit power restrictions from the -JP model AP, the output matched that of the -RW model AP exactly.

I know that some countries have heavy restrictions on usage and configuration that require specific models (USA/Canada, Israel, etc) so it seems very strange to me to have a specific -JP model AP when the -RW model can be configured to the same country code with the same channel and power restrictions.

Is this a mistake in the code?  It seems like the -RW model should have “JP3” as an allowable country code selection.  For example, the -RW model AP does not have a valid country selection for the United States or Israel because those countries have regulatory restrictions that require a specific model.

Could you help clarify why both the -JP and -RW model of IAP-215 (6.5.0.0-4.3.0.0_56428 firmware version for both) can each select “JP3” as the country configuration?

Regards,

zummarius

• 2.  RE: IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 01:21 PM

The critical element is that an IAP that ships to Japan (we do not allow shipments of -RW variants to Japan) are restricted in such a way that the user can only select Japan as the country of operation.

While there is no reason for a -RW IAP to support Japan (there is indeed some inconcistency there), it's not causing any regulatory concerns. However, following Japan regulatory restrictions, it would be illegal to deploy a -RW IAP in Japan.

• 3.  RE: IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

Posted Apr 04, 2017 01:54 PM

That is entirely what I expect.  It's also the reason why "US" and "IL" aren't selectable in the -RW model AP and have their own hardware version.

I would have expected the same to apply for Japan that the "JP3" option is entirely removed from the -RW model AP to prevent this from occuring.

Just seems like an oversight that should be corrected to me.

• 4.  RE: IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 01:59 PM

The reason for this is historical. The rules for Japan have changed, and in the past we used to be able to ship and deploy -RW instant APs and controllers there. Things are now more strictly defined, but if we were to remove the support for Japan on -RW instant APs, we would end up with some stranded customers there who used to purchase -RW.

• 5.  RE: IAP-215 Hardware Model and Country Setting Question

Posted Apr 04, 2017 06:57 PM

Understood, thank you for the clarification!