Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

Posted Mar 28, 2016 01:55 PM

I have an IAP 215 which I was going to use as part of a 3 IAP remote office deployement.  In turns out that the space is small enough where 1 IAP will suffice.  Thusly, I plan to convert the IAP to a RAP.  Now, the 215 only has one eth port.  I will have a shoretel phone which needs to talk back to my corp network.  My question is if I configure the eth port on the 215 and the port it connects to on the switch (cisco 2960) as a trunk port to include the shoretel phone vlan/subnet and the shoretel switchport for said vlan will the RAP know to answer DHCP requests and route traffic from the phone over the RAP/tunnel?

Thanks,

rif

• 2.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2016 05:33 AM

Hi, 

The short answer to the question is no. It is not possible. 

The RAP forms an ipsec tunnel to the controller, within which separate GRE tunnel are formed for the enet1, enet2... port if they are present and configured. Separate GRE tunnels will be formed for every bssid. These GRE tunnels are for the RAP users that are connected to the RAP enet1, enet2... ports and the RAP bssids. Here the phone cannot become a RAP user and the traffice from the phone cannot hit any of the tunnels. 

You would need a different RAP with additional enet ports for the requirement. 

• 3.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

Posted Mar 29, 2016 07:16 AM

Rajaguru,

Thanks for the clear answer.  Would it the IAP function the same way (seperate GRE tunnel for each BSSID) in IAP mode as oppossed to converting it to a RAP?

Thanks again,

rif

• 4.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2016 07:46 AM

This IAP is not managed by the controller. It doesn't form GRE tunnels for each bssid to the controller. 

If a IAP VPN is setup, that would be one tunnel into which the user traffic would be sent. If you want the phone's traffic to be tunneled to the controller through the IAP, then the phone must first come up on the IAP's client list. This won't happen if the phone is connected to the uplink side of the IAP. 

• 5.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

Posted Mar 29, 2016 07:52 AM
    So if i preconfig the phone or any other wired host in the iap it would
    catch and send its traffic over tje vpn? Is there a doc u can point me to
    that describes this way of getting wired traffic across the vpn?

Thanks again

Rif

--
    Sent from Gmail Mobile

• 6.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2016 08:30 AM

I don't think that is possible. The best way is to use an IAP that has additional wired ports. 

• 7.  RE: IAP 215 coversion to RAP and wired users

Posted Mar 29, 2016 08:33 AM

yes, it does look that way...

Thank you!

rif