Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:08 AM

I have 13 IAP 215s spread across 3 locations that will randomly all have their utilization go through the roof and then they will stop passing traffic and the whole wifi network will go down for 5 minutes or so. Then it will come back up and work for a random amount of time before it happens again.  Sometimes it starts with high noise on the AP's sometimes not.  I opened a case with Aruba support, they gathered the logs and said they would call me back and that has been two days ago so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure something out.  

#AP125

• 2.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:10 AM
    What version of instant code is this?
    Which utilization are you talking about specifically?
    Do you have Airwave monitoring this installation?

• 3.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:16 AM

It is version 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.11_52666. 

The utilization meter on the dashboard is what I'm talking about.  Noise meter as well.  

I do not have Airwave monitoring this install.  I'm new to Aruba, only had these about a year and they worked great until about a week ago.  

• 4.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:17 AM
    Could you provide a screenshot of the dashboard?

• 5.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:29 AM

It's only happening to one right now, but that's what it looks like.  It will start with one, spread to the others and take the network down, or sometimes the noise will go up on one spread to all and then cause the utilization to go up.  If I reboot all the AP's and the Firewall, it will come back up and stay for longer than if I just let it come back up by itself.  

Aruba Dashboard.jpg

• 6.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:04 AM

High utilization can be brought about by legitimate high usage or too much management traffic.  Please click on the access point heading so we can see the details of your access points (power/channel,etc).

• 7.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:08 AM

It shouldn't be legitimate high user usage because it doesn't seem like all the AP's would be afftected at once.  

Here is the AP setup but it's not happening right now.  Capture.PNG

• 8.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:11 AM

We can't tell anything from that chart.  You need to click on the 13 access points heading so we can see the channel and power of all of your access points.

Question:  Are the clients and the access points and wired clients all on the same subnet?

Question:  Do you have "Broadcast Filter ARP" enabled on all of your SSIDs in the advanced dialog?

• 9.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:15 AM

Sorry, here is the correct picture.  

The wired and wireless are on seperate subnets. 

Broadcast Filtering is set to ARP. 

CaptureAP.PNG

• 10.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:18 AM

All of your access points are at maximum power, which would create if not add to utilization issues and create roaming issues.  You should go to the ARM maximum transmit power and change it to 18, to reduce the effects of that.  You should even lower it to 15 if you have dense coverage.  If you can see 3 or more access points at -65 or stronger when standing in the same spot, you could turn it down to 15 and see if the utilization will go down with it.

• 11.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:22 AM

Thank you very much for your help, I will try that.  

• 12.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:30 AM

Do I have to reboot the APs for ti to take affect? 

• 13.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:35 AM

No, a power change should not require a reboot.  The changes I recommended are not particularly intrusive.  Typically if the APs are seeing alot of broadcast traffic on their management subnet, that could affect how they are performing.  How big is the AP management subnet?

• 14.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:38 AM

The AP management subnet is a /28

• 15.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 11:43 AM

Okay.  That does not seem too big.  Please monitor and see if the utilization is lower.  If not, more steps will need to be taken.

• 16.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:07 PM

Stragely enough, it may be something with the firewall.  Today I noticed it was terrible until I rebooted the firewall first and then the AP's......it has worked all day since that.   I did a quick survey and nothing is above -65, but I turned them all down to 18.  I don't have a dense ap population, what I love about the Arubas is that I was able to use 1/3 of the crap Sonicpoints I was using.  However the Arubas are still connected to the Sonicwall as their gateway/dhcp server.  Would there be anything there?  

• 17.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:11 PM

Are you using Manual Channel and power or are you relying on the ARM Max and Minimum to manage the power?

• 18.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:13 PM

Relying on the ARM max and min.  

• 19.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 12:15 PM

Ok.

I do not know if your firewall could be the cause or contribute the issue.  We need to monitor the utilization after the power has been lowered to see if it makes a difference.  It could be one of several steps we need to take to understand what could be going on here.

• 20.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 02:51 PM

It happened again.  When it happened one of the APs dropped off the list and I went down to 12.  Do you think it could be a bad AP? 

CaptureAP Flood.PNG

• 21.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 03:27 PM

Can you please PM me your Tech-Support?

• 22.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 03:30 PM

I mean PM me your TAC ticket #

• 23.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 18, 2015 03:37 PM

done. 

• 24.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 21, 2015 10:38 AM

I changed out the firewall to see if that was it, but I'm having the same problems today.  How can I look at the logs to find something out on this. 

Captureover.PNG

• 25.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 21, 2015 10:41 AM

If you run the below via the CLI it will give you all the log options.

# show log ?

• 26.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2015 10:45 AM

Lokean,

I hope you are continuing to work with TAC, because they have all of your data and can look at this live.  Please call their number instead of email if this is continuing to cause customer-facing issues.

• 27.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 21, 2015 02:24 PM

I called them back in and they want me to put a packet capture on the network and see if they can tell from that.  I do notice this in the logs when it happens. 

SAPCP: Unknown frame type

Showing over and over again. 

• 28.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 21, 2015 02:32 PM

I also see this when the utilization goes high, but no access points around me move then it will go back down and none will be interfering. 

interfering.PNG

• 29.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 29, 2015 10:08 AM

Hi!

Have you seen any specific time of day this seems to be happening? High load times only or also on low or no load times?

You said you APs, get their IP-address on a /28 subnet. Is it only APs residing on that subnet and the gateway is the Sonicwall? Do you have an special configuration we should know about? Perhaps you can export your config, erase sensitive information and post it to us so we can look at your configuration?

Cheers,

• 30.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 29, 2015 10:48 AM

I may have actually narrowed this down to my EAP network.  Everything else I chased around kept cropping back up, I even replaced the Sonicwall with a Fortigate firewall, but I disabled the EAP network this morning and it has been ok since. I do still get this error quite a bit:

The AP cannot receive data from this client because the integrity check of the received message (MIC) has failed. Recommend checking the encryption setting on the client and on the AP. 

To answer your questions, I was actually wrong and the AP addresses are on a /24 along with the wireless clients, there is no seperate mgmt network yet.  I don't have a special configuration that I know of.  How would I export my config? 

• 31.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 30, 2015 02:10 AM

in the GUI, maintenance (right top) and then configuration, make backup.

but restoring that will also restore changes on your interfaces so im not sure if that is what you want.

• 32.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Dec 30, 2015 02:14 AM

First thing I would do is to create a new VLAN for your wireless clients, I asume this is your EAP network that ends up on the same subnet as your APs. Put that network on the new VLAN instead to separate them from your APs and see if it helps.

Cheers,

• 33.  RE: IAP 215s utilization overload and stop passing traffic

Posted Jan 13, 2016 10:17 AM

i did try that and it didn't work.  I've been searching for loops in the network because I recently have found that the network will get IGMP flooded mostly by apple products and that's what's causing the utilization to go through the roof.   I tried blocking the IGMP packets per SSID with a rule, but it doesn't seem to help and as much as I search the couple wifi switches, I don't see a loop.  Is there any way to stop these floods by policy on the arubas?