Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 06:19 PM

Hi,

New to Instant here,

I have a Cluster with an IAP-225 as the Virtual Controller. I'm trying to add IAP-205Hs to it. 

I understand that the 205Hs and the 225 must be at the same firmware level for this to work.

However, what I am seeing when I add a 205H with factory shipped firmware to the subnet, it gets an IP from DHCP, but when I try to browse to that IAP to upgrade the firmware, it redircts me to the Virtual controller, the 225...but since the 205H isn't running the correct firmware, it never fully joins the cluster. So I have no ability to upgrade the AP.

Is this expected? Do I need to manually upgrade these on a different subnet? 

#AP225

• 2.  RE: IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 06:20 PM
    Yes, you should upgrade before connecting it to the same subnet.

• 3.  RE: IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 06:23 PM

Well,

That's less then ideal, but should work.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 06:28 PM

OK, The AP is running newer firmware than that.

It's running

6.4.3.0-4.2.0.0 (49453)

However, I'm wondering. My network is behind a proxy. I have set the proxy in the Virtual controller. Is that information pushed to the new AP?

• 5.  RE: IAP-225 VC, IAP-205H with older software redirects to VC, but doesn't join

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 06:22 PM

The answer is yes.  If an IAP is not of the same model as the VC, the VC will redirect the joining IAP to the cloud to download the firmware that matches.  If the IAP's code is 4.1.1.3 or before, the certificate is expired and it will not download when redirected.  Because of that situation, you will have to upgrade it manually, first.