Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

Posted Oct 26, 2016 02:50 PM

I have Aruba IAP 225's in my school, with 200Mbps bandwidth.  The speed of my MacBooks is great.  My PC's, however, are very slow.  They are running a download speed of less than 50Mbps, and upload of less than 20Mbps.  I have restarted the DNS server, AP's, and switches.  I have also restarted DNS and DHCP services.  The AP's have the latest update installed on them.  The PC's have the latest updates on their NIC cards.  Any ideas what would be causing the slowness on the PC's?  Thanks!

• 2.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2016 03:46 PM

What are you using for a speedtest?  There are many factors that affect the speed of devices under test.

• 3.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:03 PM

Thanks for your reply!  I am running speedtest.net.

• 4.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:15 PM

Is it possible that your PCs are not 3-stream 802.11ac devices like macs?

Is it also possible that their drivers have not been updated to the latest like macs typically are?

• 5.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:20 PM

On those windows clients on the commandline, you can type "netsh wlan show interface" to see the receive and transmit rate, as well as the signal.  Paste the output into the window here.  Again, very few, if any windows clients are 3 stream 802.11ac.  The majority are 2-stream and some are even single stream...

• 6.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

Posted Oct 26, 2016 04:58 PM

Here you go:

Capture.PNG

• 7.  RE: IAP 225s running slow with PCs but not Macs.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2016 06:01 PM

Those PCs have single-stream NIC cards (72 megs maximum) and they run only on the b/g/n band, which has more contention and is typically more highly utilized than the 802.11ac band.  They are competing with macs which frequently have three streams and run on the 802.11ac band (450 megs maximum).