Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Hi, I have an IAP 305 installed two years ago which I want to use as image master by adding other newly bought IAPs (still 305 model) to the same network.However, all new IAPs start by broadcasting the SetMeUP SSID, and do not join the existing VC, despite belonging to the same hardware family (305). The old AP OS reads the version 6.5.4.4, should that confirm the device as IAP? All devices share the same L2 segment, being correctly provisioned by the local DHCP server ( I can see them all listed in DHCP). I also added the DHCP option 43 by adding the HEX address of the old AP, with no avail.  I noticed one strange issue on the VC GUI: the Access Points window , while displaying the MAC of the old device, is missing the NEW link, which in theory could allow adding manually other APs. What do you think is wrong? Does it matter that the new APs have power injectors?

Highlighted

Re: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Hi, 

Regardless of version, APs dont function without controllers so in your case you are definitely running an IAP. 

The new link wont appear if auto join is disabled. By default its disabled.

Need to check the following

1) Can you check if the old IAP is configured as standalone? in which case it will not (and wont let others) join. 

If above is not the case, can you check below

1) You said all new aps start by broadcasting setmeup ssid, does it mean they have formed their own cluster?. can you check by connecting to this ssid and see if all APs (except the old one) are showing under access point column?

2) The newer APs may have been shipped probably with a newer version. That should still not allow them to form a separate cluster. 

ACMP / ACSP / ACCP / ACEP / ACDX # 663
CCIE R/S - 37956
Highlighted

You can check you new AP firmware version mentioned in the Box. Check is it Lesser or equal than the existing version.

Dinusha Chandrasinghe
Network Engineer -Enterprise System Solution @PlexusGlobal
ACMP | ACSA | ACCA | MCSA
*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*

Highlighted
Guru Elite

@CristianV wrote:

Hi, I have an IAP 305 installed two years ago which I want to use as image master by adding other newly bought IAPs (still 305 model) to the same network.However, all new IAPs start by broadcasting the SetMeUP SSID, and do not join the existing VC, despite belonging to the same hardware family (305). The old AP OS reads the version 6.5.4.4, should that confirm the device as IAP? All devices share the same L2 segment, being correctly provisioned by the local DHCP server ( I can see them all listed in DHCP). I also added the DHCP option 43 by adding the HEX address of the old AP, with no avail.  I noticed one strange issue on the VC GUI: the Access Points window , while displaying the MAC of the old device, is missing the NEW link, which in theory could allow adding manually other APs. What do you think is wrong? Does it matter that the new APs have power injectors?

The new IAPs have a much newer version of Instant, and that is why they broadcast "setmeup", instead of "instant".  I would find out what version the new version has and upgrade the older IAP cluster to the version of the NEW IAP cluster.  You could then try to add the new Instant AP to the old cluster.  You would find software for Instant APs here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20375

Where are you seeing the version number for the existing cluster?  The version number for an instant cluster should be 6.5.4.4-xxxx.  

DHCP option 43 is not required/used for instant deployment, because they typically just discover each other by being on the same layer 2 subnet.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Hi, auto join looks enabled, see image attached. Is there anything else to check the standalone status, and reverse it if possible without resetting the device?  I still don't understand why I am missing the "New" link in the GUI APs window.

With regard to the OS version, the newer devices being newer should prevent them to join the first cluster or not? If yes, then the solution should be to updating the first device to the same OS version of the newer ones?  Thanks

CristianV_0-1583678092569.png

Highlighted
Guru Elite

Please repost that jpeg as an attachment.  We cannot zoom in. 

If you do not have a "New" link, that could mean that your access point is under control via central or Airwave, instead of locally.  Can you actually configure anything?

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

I could read the OS version of the first device in two modes: GUI and SSH CLI (show ver). They both produce the same result: ArubaOS model 305 version 6.5.4.4. Haven't checked the OS version of the newer devices yet (tommorow I shall be able to do it), but I expect it to be higher.

Is there a problem with that? Thanks

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Yes, I can configure any option in the GUI, did that already in the past. See attached the GUI snapshot.

Highlighted
Guru Elite

If you don't have the newer device on hand right now, we can answer questions about it, when you do.

There should not be a problem with a newer device being added, but we would need to look at the system logs to determine why that device is making its decisions.

ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

I shall come back tomorrow with the newer devices powered on. Still, can you tell anything wrong with the old device, concerning the auto join mode, or standalone status, anything?  If I update the OS version, is that going to ruin the existing configuration? Thank you so much. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: