Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 05:07 AM

Hi, I have an IAP 305 installed two years ago which I want to use as image master by adding other newly bought IAPs (still 305 model) to the same network.However, all new IAPs start by broadcasting the SetMeUP SSID, and do not join the existing VC, despite belonging to the same hardware family (305). The old AP OS reads the version 6.5.4.4, should that confirm the device as IAP? All devices share the same L2 segment, being correctly provisioned by the local DHCP server ( I can see them all listed in DHCP). I also added the DHCP option 43 by adding the HEX address of the old AP, with no avail.  I noticed one strange issue on the VC GUI: the Access Points window , while displaying the MAC of the old device, is missing the NEW link, which in theory could allow adding manually other APs. What do you think is wrong? Does it matter that the new APs have power injectors?

• 2.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 06:25 AM

Hi, 

Regardless of version, APs dont function without controllers so in your case you are definitely running an IAP. 

The new link wont appear if auto join is disabled. By default its disabled.

Need to check the following

1) Can you check if the old IAP is configured as standalone? in which case it will not (and wont let others) join. 

If above is not the case, can you check below

1) You said all new aps start by broadcasting setmeup ssid, does it mean they have formed their own cluster?. can you check by connecting to this ssid and see if all APs (except the old one) are showing under access point column?

2) The newer APs may have been shipped probably with a newer version. That should still not allow them to form a separate cluster. 

• 3.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:42 AM

Hi, auto join looks enabled, see image attached. Is there anything else to check the standalone status, and reverse it if possible without resetting the device?  I still don't understand why I am missing the "New" link in the GUI APs window.

With regard to the OS version, the newer devices being newer should prevent them to join the first cluster or not? If yes, then the solution should be to updating the first device to the same OS version of the newer ones?  Thanks

CristianV_0-1583678092569.png

• 4.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:49 AM

Please repost that jpeg as an attachment.  We cannot zoom in. 

If you do not have a "New" link, that could mean that your access point is under control via central or Airwave, instead of locally.  Can you actually configure anything?

• 5.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:54 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, I can configure any option in the GUI, did that already in the past. See attached the GUI snapshot.

• 6.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 07:28 AM

You can check you new AP firmware version mentioned in the Box. Check is it Lesser or equal than the existing version.

• 7.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2020 09:34 AM

@CristianV wrote:

Hi, I have an IAP 305 installed two years ago which I want to use as image master by adding other newly bought IAPs (still 305 model) to the same network.However, all new IAPs start by broadcasting the SetMeUP SSID, and do not join the existing VC, despite belonging to the same hardware family (305). The old AP OS reads the version 6.5.4.4, should that confirm the device as IAP? All devices share the same L2 segment, being correctly provisioned by the local DHCP server ( I can see them all listed in DHCP). I also added the DHCP option 43 by adding the HEX address of the old AP, with no avail.  I noticed one strange issue on the VC GUI: the Access Points window , while displaying the MAC of the old device, is missing the NEW link, which in theory could allow adding manually other APs. What do you think is wrong? Does it matter that the new APs have power injectors?

The new IAPs have a much newer version of Instant, and that is why they broadcast "setmeup", instead of "instant".  I would find out what version the new version has and upgrade the older IAP cluster to the version of the NEW IAP cluster.  You could then try to add the new Instant AP to the old cluster.  You would find software for Instant APs here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20375

Where are you seeing the version number for the existing cluster?  The version number for an instant cluster should be 6.5.4.4-xxxx.  

DHCP option 43 is not required/used for instant deployment, because they typically just discover each other by being on the same layer 2 subnet.

• 8.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:50 AM

I could read the OS version of the first device in two modes: GUI and SSH CLI (show ver). They both produce the same result: ArubaOS model 305 version 6.5.4.4. Haven't checked the OS version of the newer devices yet (tommorow I shall be able to do it), but I expect it to be higher.

Is there a problem with that? Thanks

• 9.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2020 10:55 AM

If you don't have the newer device on hand right now, we can answer questions about it, when you do.

There should not be a problem with a newer device being added, but we would need to look at the system logs to determine why that device is making its decisions.

• 10.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 11:06 AM

I shall come back tomorrow with the newer devices powered on. Still, can you tell anything wrong with the old device, concerning the auto join mode, or standalone status, anything?  If I update the OS version, is that going to ruin the existing configuration? Thank you so much. 

• 11.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 08, 2020 11:18 AM
    If newer devices have newer version, they simply cant join the old cluster
    but they will not form a cluster of their own either. If you are seeing
    setmeup ssid, thats because almost certainly its in standalone mode

Cli command is i think show swarm

• 12.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 02:40 PM

Hello, able to resume my unfinished work. I just ran the command "show swarm mode" on the vc and got the following lines:

Swarm Mode :Standalone
    Reason :Manual provision

I guess that should explain the issue described in my post, meaning newer APs unable to join the existing cluster.  Forgive my humble question..Would converting the vc in Default Virtual Controller Mode from GUI ruin or touch my existing configuration ( SSID, other settings, etc)? 

Next I should retry booting the newer APs. If still not joining, maybe I should try upgrading the firmware of the old AP?  

Thank you

• 13.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2020 02:49 PM

It will not hurt your configuration.

• 14.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 02:53 PM

Hi,

In order to avoid hit and trial, follow the procedure

1) Start the newer APs in a different vlan and let them form their own cluster

2) Once they are up, check their firmware version. Current IAP version is i think 8.6.0.2

3) Compare the firmware of newer IAPs to old one. 

4) If they are of the same version, simply reboot them and change their ports to old IAP's Vlan

5) Else, simply upgrade the version on old and newer cluster and once firmware is same, simply reboot the newer APs and change their Vlans to make them join the old and true VC.

• 15.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 03:37 PM

Thank you both for your answer. Please let me understand why should I form a cluster with the newer Aps? Just for the sake of managing the firmware upgrading all at once?

Also, when I have all APs running the same firmware, what makes my old VC winning the master status when rebooting the newer APs in the same VLAN ? 

Thank you.

• 16.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 03:42 PM

Also, converting the old Ap to Default Virtual Controller mode from Standalone mode is to be performed before upgrading the firmware? Thanks

• 17.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 03:47 PM
    "Also, converting the old Ap to Default Virtual Controller mode from
    Standalone mode is to be performed before upgrading the firmware? Thanks"

Hi,

It doesnt matter. You may upgrade the firmware before or after conversion.

• 18.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

Posted Mar 17, 2020 03:46 PM
    Hi,

If the old VC is running an old version of firmware, the newer IAPs will
    not form the cluster and will not downgrade their firmware to join the
    cluster either. You can upgrade the firmware using any method you prefer.

If you want the old VC to win the master status, you can simply check the
    option of preferred master when editing the individual APs. Please make
    sure that you dont have this option selected on any other AP or
    unpredictable results might occur

• 19.  RE: IAP 305 do not join virtual controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2020 11:31 AM

"I shall come back tomorrow with the newer devices powered on. Still, can you tell anything wrong with the old device, concerning the auto join mode, or standalone status, anything?  If I update the OS version, is that going to ruin the existing configuration? Thank you so much. "

I would wait until tomorrow until you can get the new device and see why it is not joining.  The logs of why it did not join on the old device might have rolled on the old device, so it is best that you obtain logs while you are trying to join (the tech support).  Autojoin being off is one reason why devices cannot join, but there are quite a few other reasons why it would not, as well.  It would be best to have both devices online to troubleshoot why.