Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

Posted Jan 31, 2017 06:05 AM

Hi all, we have 6 x 335 Instants in a cluster. Had complaints some people couldn't connect and could see all 6 AP's reporting "Auth Failure...Reason AP in resouce constrained". Even after powering off all the AP's within minutes of them being online, with only a handful of clients connected, I'm immediately seeing the message from all the AP's. The "Max client Assoc" is left at the default of 64 but even during the busiest times I'm only seeing around 30 clients per AP. I have an open ticket with support but they can't explain it. I'll be upgrading the firmware this week to see if that helps. 

Any of you seen anything like this before? 

• 2.  RE: IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2017 07:58 AM

That standard wifi message can be seen as during band steering or load balancing.  Typically the client will look for another AP.

Your issue could be due to something else.

• 3.  RE: IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

Posted Jan 31, 2017 09:17 AM

I like that theory, it's backed up by the fact we seem excessive roaming. The capture below is from a laptop user who doesn't move for hours at a time. Does make me wonder why the Aruba support people looking after my ticket haven't suggest this!

Thanks

Capture2.PNG

• 4.  RE: IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

Posted Jan 31, 2017 11:51 AM
    Hey Steve, :)

Have you checked if you're getting any interference or DFS events?

• 5.  RE: IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

Posted Feb 01, 2017 03:27 AM

Hi James, fancy seeing you here ;-) . DFS events, yep get them very frequenty in the London office. I was assuming the error was related to limited resources on the AP when in fact it can be caused by expected events like roaming, load balancing and DFS events... 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: IAP 335's - Auth Failure - Reason is resource constrained.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2017 12:56 PM

@SG wrote:

I like that theory, it's backed up by the fact we seem excessive roaming. The capture below is from a laptop user who doesn't move for hours at a time. Does make me wonder why the Aruba support people looking after my ticket haven't suggest this!

Thanks

Capture2.PNG

Excessive roaming is typically a function of transmit power being too high.  If clients have many choices at high power, they will roam randomly on their own.  I assume support is guessing about your issue just like me.