Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-93 Virtual Controller problems

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-93 Virtual Controller problems

Posted Nov 10, 2012 12:12 PM

Our school started out with 10 IAP-93s in one part of the building. We bought these from dell. We bought an aditional 16 more from CDW for another part of the building because of a cheaper price. But I can't get them to work together on the same network. The ones from dell seem to be co-branded and only work with dell products.

So i thought that I would turn off the auto join mode on the dells and setup the other 16 on a different virtual controller. When I set it up in a lab it works fine, but once its connect to the same network as the dell virtual controller the ones from CDW just stop working. 

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions? Can I flash the true Aurba firmware on the dells?

I don't mind having to configure two different virtual controllers so if there is away to get them to work on the same network that would be great.

• 2.  RE: IAP-93 Virtual Controller problems

Posted Nov 11, 2012 07:33 PM

I suspect they should work together though I have not tested it.

What I suspect you could be running into is one of two things:

1. IAP-9x is limited to 16 IAP per group.  All other models are unlimited.

2. IAPs must be in the same Vlan........are the two parts of your building in separate Vlans?  If yes, they will never see each other.

Just thinking out loud now, since all APs must run the same version of OS there could be an issue there.    Try the first two items first and let us know how it goes or provide more details (vlans, versions of code, etc.).

• 3.  RE: IAP-93 Virtual Controller problems

Posted Nov 12, 2012 11:26 AM

Currently there are only 10 APs. They are all on the same VLAN. From what i've read its because the dell's have different firmware then the other IAP-93 and they won't work together... 

• 4.  RE: IAP-93 Virtual Controller problems
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 12, 2012 08:29 PM

@ronnie55555 wrote:

Currently there are only 10 APs. They are all on the same VLAN. From what i've read its because the dell's have different firmware then the other IAP-93 and they won't work together... 

Correct.