Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 12, 2012 08:57 PM

Sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find it. I have 26 APs I have to install.  One part of the building will have 10 and the other part will have 16.  I know that the IAP-93 have a 16 AP limit. I was told that after 16 that another virtual controller is created. Is this true? Is there away to keep certain APs within a virtual controller group? I understand having two virtual controllers would mean I would have to configure things twice, but its not a big deal.

All 26  would be on the same network/VLAN

anyone have any experince or advice on this?

thanks

• 2.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 12, 2012 11:39 PM

You will have  2 Virtual controllers in there...

the limits as you said for AP 93 is 16

For all other models is unlimited....

But if you have let say 17 105 and 1 AP 93 the limit is  reduced to 16...

IF you got the budget you can always get a controller a 3200 :) you will get more features and better handling for higher traffic plus less tagging, as in the IAP you will need to tag the vlans you usinf for your SSID for each AP...

Anyways think it like a future project maybe? you can convert those IAP 93 in normal APS anytime you want when you have a controller.

Anyways does this answer your quetion?

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 13, 2012 09:30 AM

It sort of answers my question. I know I will have two virtual controllers now. These two groups of APs would be at seperate parts of the building. I would like to keep the groups tied to a virtual controller. Do I need to worry about it? Or will it just handle it self?

I guess my concern is that a virtual controller would be controlling random number of APs from each side of the building and it wouldn't be efficent. But maybe I'm over thinking it.. I guess I will just start to install them and see what happens... 

• 4.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 13, 2012 09:37 AM

You can keep it simple

Put one vlan for one virtual controller

and put another vlan for the other virtual controller

the 10 aps in one vlan

the other 16 APS in anotehr vlan

I think that way you will have no complication maybe, someone else on the forum got a better idea?

• 5.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 16, 2012 11:50 AM

I would really like to avoid putting the controllers on different VLANs. Since I want them to access the same network. I added a 17th AP and it just doesn't work. If I go to the IP address of the 17th AP it just redirects me to the virtual controller of the first 16.  I was told that the 17th AP would just created another virutal controller but that doesn't seem to be the case.. Can anyone give me suggestions?

• 6.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 16, 2012 12:01 PM

I dont think you can put them on the same vlan....

you willl need to create another cluster on another vlan...

And if you want to roam between the clusters, then, then you need to create a L3 mobility...

Anyways you can wait for an aruba expert for confirmation or you can open a support case for confirmation of what i told you but i as far i know its like im telling you

• 7.  RE: IAP-93 what happens after 16 APs?

Posted Nov 22, 2012 02:02 PM

Or you can disable he atuojoin feature and define the virtual controllers manually.