Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

Posted Mar 22, 2020 09:04 AM

Hi...

I am setting up 8 unit of IAP-303 and connected to HPE 1820G 24G PoE+ switch.

I configure 8 IAP as a cluster. Setup Guest access using default Captive Portal. DHCP server is from IAP.

But I noticed laptop is taking a long time to associate and getting IP Address.

May I know what could be the reason. 

Please kindly advise

• 2.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2020 09:13 AM

What operating system is the Laptop?

Can you see what the client's health is on the instant management page?

What band (a/b/g) is the laptop operating on?

What is the wireless chipset of the laptop?

• 3.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

Posted Mar 22, 2020 09:41 AM

What operating system is the Laptop?   Windows 10

Can you see what the client's health is on the instant management page? Will check and update

What band (a/b/g) is the laptop operating on? All

What is the wireless chipset of the laptop? Sorry, I do not have the info, it is a MacBook Pro

Actually not only laptop.. Android phone also slow (Samsung S8 and Oppo R7sf) also experience slow

• 4.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2020 09:44 AM

We need the data I asked to help.  If both devices are ending up on the 2.4 gigahertz band it is possible you have too much co-channel interference and you need to reduce the power on the g band.  If the problem occurs on the 5 gigahertz band we need to make sure you're not running 80 megahertz channels and that your power is also reduced so that you're not causing co- channel interference and reducing.  Without those answers we would just be guessing what is wrong.

• 5.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

Posted Mar 22, 2020 10:01 AM

May I know how to access to the client instant management page ?

• 6.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

EMPLOYEE

• 7.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

Posted Mar 22, 2020 11:57 PM
      |   view attached

Hi, I am testing using 5 clients.

Attach is the result. Appreciate you can advise what could be the cause.

Thanks

Attachment(s)

docx
    monitoring result.docx   816 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: IAP-Clustering - Taking long time to associate and getting IP Address

Posted Mar 23, 2020 05:58 AM

Hi, 

Captive Portal and DHCP is done centralized from VC (Master AP). So one possible reason would be wired delay on Master AP itself. Normally what i do is to run wireshark on my laptop to see how much time was actually spent in sending and receiving the DHCP REQ and RESP. 

Another way to approach it is to see if DHCP repsonse time varries between wired and wireless so isolate if its wireless only problem. Simply connect a laptop that has a wired connection on 1820 switch in the same Vlan on which IAP is running the DHCP. See if you are getting any delays